The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Just ordered a new Ambrose Strop

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
Ever since I started shaving with a straight razor, about two years ago, I've heard sporadically about Ambrose strops. They were well known back in 2010 or so, for their high quality and workmanship. Some years back, Jose stopped producing them. Being a neophyte, I'm not sure why he stopped production, but it's fair to say that many people back in the day were upset. Earlier this week I was notified by a friend that Ambrose Strops were back! So, I made a point to read up as much as I could on these strops.
All photos shamelessly stolen from the web...…
Notes from the Ambrose preorder site:
-Handcrafted Barber strop 2.5x 24”
-Indian buffalo leather smooth thick and rich
-Gun metal hardware
-Natural cotton canvas tight weave
I couldn't help myself when I read that he was only producing a limited run to start with..... Only 20 or so strops, so I bought. From what I read 8 years ago, it sounds like they were amazing! Now there is just the wait of up to three or four weeks.... I guess I'll have to make do with my TM strop until then... lol
Now, do any of you guys own an Ambrose Strop either as the original owner or as second or third owner?

Matt

Awesome stuff Matt! Looking forward to your review of the Ambrose! Always good to pick up some quasi-unobtanium when you can!

Awesome stuff Matt! Looking forward to your review of the Ambrose! Always good to pick up some quasi-unobtanium when you can!
Thank you sir! I’m hope it’s as nice as advertised. He is going to custom add my last name to the strop as well, so it will be a true heirloom.

Well guys, I hate to say it, but I ended up canceling my order and had to receive a refund from Paypal...... I ordered the strop from Jose on July 4th and his website said it would take 3-4 weeks to be produced. THEN production delay after production delay....... I was content with waiting a while as long as I could get production updates, but they were few and far between. I'm not certain what happened with this guy, but it was a waste of my time. I waited 21 weeks, which is too long for any preorder especially if there is no end date given. I wish him well in what ever he is doing, but I wont buy one of his strops in the future.

Sorry to hear Luecke! I know you were really looking forward to it. 21 week wait though? Must have been growing the leather himself I guess? Lol. Bummer.

Sad to hear. A TM is nothing to sneeze at though.
Yes, thankfully I do have a Tony Miller, a SRD Roo Strop, and a vintage Red Imp Shell. I'm not hurting for another strop, I just wanted a pretty and unique one. Oh well....

Sorry to hear Luecke! I know you were really looking forward to it. 21 week wait though? Must have been growing the leather himself I guess? Lol. Bummer.
That's what I kept thinking...... He ordered plates for pressing his logo into the strops as well as lettering for personalizing them, but to my knowledge he had not received them yet.
I feel bad for Bullgoose, they made the announcement that they were going to carry his strops in the near future.

Back