The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ivory?

wayne1963

Jr. Shave Member
Just acquired a set of straight razors that were sold to me as having ivory scales. I've no knowledge of ivory, but they look different than plastic. Any easy ways to tell...no hot pin tests please.

Just acquired a set of straight razors that were sold to me as having ivory scales. I've no knowledge of ivory, but they look different than plastic. Any easy ways to tell...no hot pin tests please.
I am assuming these are vintage straights? Would love to see pics when you get a chance. It might help out someone more knowledgeable than myself be able to determine. Congrats on the new (to you) razors!

@wayne1963
Here are examples of ivory scales from my collection(except for the crazier looking Rodgers, I wish!). You should not expect to see washers on the pins. You should see natural variation in color and lines called Schreger lines like @global_dev mentioned. They should feel more substantial than plastic(heavier for their size) and should be more stiff. The wedge is likely made of lead or a black plastic/wood. Please send us photos!

Best wishes,

Matt
9332AF26-327F-41A7-873F-9938A4577EF9.jpegE90817B8-1533-49A6-88C2-56AF52882AAF.jpegF2DD1EC6-06C8-4BA8-873A-99040C45BB95.jpeg21A08B7C-3FDC-4A7C-AD1A-2444E43BBA70.jpeg99C847BC-4562-4E79-B4BC-C109B1C108D0.jpegCF47DE22-09F9-4E32-AC17-51F986ACA71B.jpeg

I am assuming these are vintage straights? Would love to see pics when you get a chance. It might help out someone more knowledgeable than myself be able to determine. Congrats on the new (to you) razors!
I've tried uploading pics, but get an "image too big message". I feel like they are legit. When backlighted, the scales are a tad translucent. I can see the shape of the blade through them, something I can't do with any other razor I own.

I've tried uploading pics, but get an "image too big message". I feel like they are legit. When backlighted, the scales are a tad translucent. I can see the shape of the blade through them, something I can't do with any other razor I own.
Instead of using the insert pic button. Try doing a right click save picture. And then paste to your post. Hope this helps.

Back