The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

It's a sad, sad day..."Kentucky Bourbon Warehouse Collapses, Spilling 9,000 Barrels of Whiskey"

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
My favorite whiskey in the whole world is likely housed in this warehouse. I have been buying my 18 year old Sazerac Rye Whiskey for almost 20 years now. When I first discovered this "nectar of the gods" I paid only $27.00 a bottle. The last bottle I was able to find and purchase was about $180.00 retail. It often goes for a lot more on the secondary market. And that's IF you can find it. I like this better than Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old bourbon. My beloved Sazerac 18 just became more rare! At either rate...there were many a bourbon and rye that are now...hopefully...being consumed by heavenly hosts. Brings new meaning to the term "Angels' Share."

Louisville, Ky. (AP) -- Thousands of whiskey barrels crashed into a massive heap Friday when a large section of a decades-old storage warehouse collapsed at a distillery in the heart of Kentucky bourbon country.

The damaged warehouse at the Barton 1792 Distillery in Bardstown held about 18,000 barrels, and it appeared that up to half the barrels inside were affected, the distillery's owner said.

"We are assessing how many of the impacted barrels can be recovered," said Amy Preske, a spokeswoman for Sazerac, a Louisiana-based spirits company. "A mix of various distilled products at various ages were stored in that warehouse."
Read the rest of the article at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-22/portion-of-kentucky-bourbon-warehouse-collapses

Saw it on the news. Sorry Don. A moment of silence for you
1f60e.png

Dang...that stinks...

In other news, Don was seen running away from the scene, cackling gleefully with a salvaged mini cask under each arm.

Saw it on the news. Sorry Don. A moment of silence for you
1f60e.png
Much Appreciated!

Dang...that stinks...

In other news, Don was seen running away from the scene, cackling gleefully with a salvaged mini cask under each arm.
Are you insinuating that I can't carry a full barrel?
1f601.png

.......and showed up the next morning volunteering his services in the recovery efforts !!
It's only the gentlemanly thing to do!
1f643.png

Yes a sad day. That is bourbon abuse. I would love to have the broken barrels. That would be some great smoked ribs

Seems like the Devil didn’t feel he was getting his cut!

Sorry Don.

$180 a bottle, really? Dang.

Seems like the Devil didn’t feel he was getting his cut!

Sorry Don.

$180 a bottle, really? Dang.

Oys good stuff. I haven't been able to find a bottle in a couple of years though. Most of my whiskeys stay under the $50 range. But I make an exception for Sazerac 18 .

Don't worry Don you should be safe. This barrel house was owned by Barton 1792 Distillery not Buffalo Trace. Buffalo Trace is where your Sazerac Rye 18 is distilled. Along with Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Pappy Van Winkle, E.H. Taylor Jr., Stagg Jr., Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, W.L. Weller, Old Charter, Benchmark, and Ancient Age.

Althought Sazerac does own both distilleries. So I guess it is possible that some of the Sazerac could have been in there.

1792 is one of my go to bourbons. I expect to see a limited edition release called "Collapse" any time now.
1f609.png

Thanks Craig. Although, I think I read one of the articles that said Sazerac was one of the whiskeys that was being aged there. I hope I'm wrong though.

Thanks Craig. Although, I think I read one of the articles that said Sazerac was one of the whiskeys that was being aged there. I hope I'm wrong though.
And if so, hopefully they are in the half of the building that’s still standing!

Well if this isn't a sign for the apocalypse I don't know what is!

Last I heard from the first collapse, they were facing some heavy environmental fines too. That really stinks!

Supposedly they were ready for this and no environmental impact.

I expect a limited edition release any day now called 1792 Collapse.
1f609.png

Back