The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Is the iPad a viable option yet?

GearNoir

“The Disney Princess’s Apprentice”
Looking for some input from my tech junkie and roaming office worker buddies!

It’s just about that time for my 8 year old MacBook Pro. It’s served me pretty darn well up to this last year or so, when it’s been hit or miss.

My current uses are really limited to just writing, internet, a little video and graphics, zoomin, and streaming. I’m trying to steer clear of having gaming be a major factor.

I’m leaning toward the iPad option, though I’m surprised it’s just as (actually slightly more) expensive than the laptop option. While I’ve enjoyed a laptop, the iPad might offer just slightly that much more portability, easier to lecture or present off of (or is it?), and allows for use of touch and stylus in addition to keyboard.

The major downsides might be that, at least for Apple, iPad apps are still not on par with full fledged iOS apps, so some functionality from a few of my more regular use software might be more limited.

What do you guys use? Why? If you could do it over, would you choose something else?

I got an 12" iPad Pro a few years back, for the portability reason, and I like the idea of being able to use the pen when I might need it on occasion.

For me personally, it could never replace a MacOS machine, there are just too many little things missing, but if you truly are only do that, don't use many app, do a lot of multitasking or file management stuff, then it totally can do the job.

Having both, I'm happy to help you in any way I can. The iPad is a great device, if what you mostly are looking for something that would basically be a bigger phone with an optional keyboard. Portability wise, it can't be beat, though I hear the newer ones are a bit bigger due to the new keyboard.

I also got the 12” pro a couple of years ago. I love it and use it everyday. My job is largely reviewing and marking up documents, and the Apple Pencil is great for that. It is also super portable and is my “go to” for browsing, watching Netflix, etc. I don’t really do any video or photo editing, but I think it would have plenty of horsepower to handle these things.

All that said, I would not recommend it as a computer replacement. It’s close, but not there yet. Awesome supplemental device though. Hope this helps.

Great thoughts so far guys, thanks! It’s not making it any easier as a decision yet lol but I appreciate it!

Have either of you presented or lectured off of the iPad at all?

Any thoughts on which keyboard to use too? Crazy that a keyboard would add so much cost, being like 1/3 the price of the computing unit! Magic vs Keyboard Folio?

I have done most of my lectures/presentations off the iPad. In my case basically screen recording a Keynote presentation, I can even plug a nice podcasting mic in with the right adaptor.

I think the new keyboard looks nice, and would be more stable than the original, but it is pricy. I have an ersatz solution for my keyboard, I put the base from a clipboard in the leather Apple iPad case, which makes it perfect for working off my lap on the couch.

I’ve had the folio since I’ve had the iPad and it works well. Provides good protection and a stable stand (you can pick the iPad up by the keyboard). It’s nice because it doesn’t use batteries or need to be connected in anyway. Negative is that there are only two screen tilt positions.

The new magic keyboard looks nice, but spendy for sure.

iPad apps are still not on par with full fledged iOS apps
? Are ipad apps that much different from iOS versions. I know some of them are different , but you didn’t mean osx right?

i need to replace a quad core 2011 mini soon, thats been updated as much as it can be. I feel like lots of people love the ipad pro.

unless you constrain by must haves, its hard to suggest b

? Are ipad apps that much different from iOS versions. I know some of them are different , but you didn’t mean osx right?

i need to replace a quad core 2011 mini soon, thats been updated as much as it can be. I feel like lots of people love the ipad pro.

Whoops! Yes, I meant iPadOS (which has been closest to iOS in the past) apps are still not quite up to par with macOS apps.

My only real must have at the moment is my Accordance Bible software. There’s an iOS/iPadOS version that has slightly reduced functionality as I understand it but still workable.

Honestly I'm not a big apple fan. I don't have an iPhone I have a Motorola e2020..I have a couple of iPads lying around along with some iPods and a few macbook and a MacBook air but I use android tablets and windows more.. I like how you are Not tied to the apple environment with Android and windows.. The programs are cheaper too. I use a Microsoft surface pro also that I really like ! I like being able to use the surface pen to write and draw and whatnot.. Apple is just to locked down for me. Gaming also seems easier on Android and windows. Also the surface has a slot for a memory card which I really like, I'm currently using a 512gb card in it so I have a lot of space for stuff.

My only real must have at the moment is my Accordance Bible software. There’s an iOS/iPadOS version that has slightly reduced functionality as I understand it but still workable.

I think you just answered your question Chris. Expeciatlly since the new MacBook Airs are getting astonishingly good reviews.

We literally just replaced a 2012 Mini with the latest version and are thrilled with the upgrade.

Back