The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Inherited Straight Razor

DeepSea

"Will Dive for Shave Gear"
Active Duty
Good afternoon Cadre. So, my grandmother passed Sunday morning and I am helping my mother and aunt go through some things, we came across my grandfather’s straight razor. My grandfather passed in 1988 when I was 4 and some of my earliest memories are with him. It means the world to me to have his straight razor now. I know nothing about it or straight razors in general and would like to see if anyone has information about the brand or if it would be worth have if the blade repaired and getting honed. If it can be fixed I would love to do a shave with it in his memory. Thanks!

7291690B-F617-452C-B632-F301866D74BE.jpeg
0DB86746-A4F1-4786-8751-8E66F3E5AA38.jpeg
80BDA6C5-5660-40AD-92C4-C33EDEFBF76B.jpeg
7399EFC9-FA5A-4A1C-9D87-9265B9E37650.jpeg

I'm no expert but that certainly looks like enough to get a good edge on it. It might be a little narrower but what an awesome thing to have an heirloom piece.

Thanks Dave, I was thinking it wasn’t in too bad of shape. I am over the moon to have an heirloom razor and its my first traditional straight razor as well!

Sorry for your loss. Very cool, though, to have your grandfather's razor. It doesn't look like that needs much to get up an running again. I'm sure Alfredo can get it sorted in short order.

Sorry for your loss @DeepSea. Very cool to have an heirloom piece to cherish though!

I agree, Doc should do a great job, as could any of our metalworking hobbyists here!

I reached out to Doc and he said he is in the middle of a remodel of his house and won’t have access to his stones for 6-8 more weeks. Do you guys have any other recommendations for where to get this bad boy back to shaveing condition?

From what I can see in the pictures it really just needs some time on the stones. Otherwise it looks to be in great shape!

Heirloom pieces are one of those to coolest parts of this hobby for those lucky enough to have them. I might have to see if i can dig up any info on that one as I've not heard of it. If i find anything I'll post it here for you. Are the any markings on the back?

From what I can see in the pictures it really just needs some time on the stones. Otherwise it looks to be in great shape!

Heirloom pieces are one of those to coolest parts of this hobby for those lucky enough to have them. I might have to see if i can dig up any info on that one as I've not heard of it. If i find anything I'll post it here for you. Are the any markings on the back?
I just took a close look and the only other marking I can find on the back it “GERMANY” etched pretty small. I couldn’t get it to show up in any pictures though, most likely due to my horrid camera skills. I’ve been on google quite a bit and I haven’t been able to find one with similar markings.
My aunt thinks she has another of his razors at her house in Delaware. Keeping my fingers crossed she can find it.

Some of those older razors were all ordered from one company in Germany and then stamped with usually a department type stores name. Or blanks were ordered and finish work done by the local company.
If you dont find anyone, send it to me and I'll check it over and hone it.

Some of those older razors were all ordered from one company in Germany and then stamped with usually a department type stores name. Or blanks were ordered and finish work done by the local company.

This is what my research bore out and I PM'd him due to a link I didn't want on the TSC site. Thanks Shawn (y)

Back