The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I'm 60yo, Nobody call me Newbie!

MrCarl1960

Shave Newbie
Just kidding.

Back around 1982, when I was in the Navy, I picked up a cheap DE razor. I kind of liked it at first, but soon lost interest. I don't exactly remember why. Maybe I couldn't find blades or I didn't know where to look. This was before the internet and I didn't know anyone to ask. I've used so many cartridge razors over the years I have over a dozen different handles. However, I've always liked using shaving soap with a cartridge razor.

No one taught me how to use shaving soap, I would just whip the brush in the mug until I thought it was right. Note: If you drop your shaving mug on a Ship's steel deck, there won't be anything left worth saving. I continued to use shaving soap on and off. It seemed the only time I would see it was around Christmas time.

I found an old Christmas present and had been using for over a year, when the brush started falling apart. Note I was washing the brush and resting it on the handle with the brush facing up. Between Amazon and eBay I bought some brushes, some soaps and other paraphernalia. I also bought a cheap Vincent DE razor. I wish I had never bought that POS. However, I also started watching videos and reading articles on the internet.

Now I've bought some new & used razors, along with a lot more shaving paraphernalia and I enjoy shaving!

P.S. Don't tell the wife I'm bidding on some more.

Welcome Carl, to the TSC! Mare sure you check out CBL Soaps, one of our local favorites. And welcome to the Forum. You’ve found a great group of friends here.

Welcome!

The bottom of the brush is flat for a reason, Mine always sit right-side-up. Water will wick up and the brush will dry perfectly, gravity plays no part. You can also read the brush when it's hair side up! Many brush holders are also destructive.

Welcome on! Glad you could join in. Thanks for your service!

What are some of your favorites for traditional shaving right now?

Thank you for sharing...it is interesting to see how each of us got into this crazy hobby of ours! Welcome to TSC!

Welcome MrCarl. I too tried DE shaving in the 80s, but didn't know what I was doing and it didn't go too well. It didn't help that I was using canned soap.

Back