The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How to gel your knot tips (HCS Demonstration)

bentheduck

"TSC's Personal Defibrillator in los pantelones"
First Responder
I stumbled across Neil from Heritage Collection Shaving demonstrating his method of geling the tips of his badger and boar knots. Depending on the cost of materials I might be interested in trying to gel a boar for science reasons.

Badger:

Boar:

Interesting. I have two that just did it. A Whipped Dog and a Paladin. Didn't realize there was a way to make them do it.

WEAR GLOVES! I use this stuff Every day, Also really no need for the hair dryer in the beginning just use a plastic bag as the exothermic reaction of the bleach and activator will provide enough heat as too much heat and the hair will literally dissolve ( destroy the knot ) just rinse well fro at least 15 minutes. shampoo twice make sure it runs clear before even getting it close to your face 40 is some serious stuff Folks can and will cause skin burns. Also no need to blow dry, shake the water out and smack itr around a bit on a towel.

I do this to all my knots, LOL did not know there was a video HEHE

Imma have to watch this later

I haven’t watched these videos, but there is a way to gel tip your badgers with no chemicals. They were just talking about this on another shave FB group. Something they called the fridge method.

You fill a rocks glass with cold water put your brush in it to soak, and put it in the fridge for 24hours. Then pull it out and rub the brush, as if to lather, on a dry towel for up to 10 minutes. Repeat this process 2 more times. That will get the brush to break in and get the ends to split much faster.

If you think it sounds crazy, mantic even did a video on this method a couple years ago.

I tried the fridge method to break in my Stirling boar, with poor results. I just needed to actually break in the Stirling, though. I think I've done it with a couple of other boars too, with better results.

This seems like a lot of work. I'll stick to the age old method of just use it
That’s just so genius someone else must have thought of it!

This seems like a lot of work. I'll stick to the age old method of just use it
It’s a lot of work, about 30 minutes, over the course of a few days, to save you weeks or months of break in time.

It’s a lot of work, about 30 minutes, over the course of a few days, to save you weeks or months of break in time.
I can certainly respect that some people enjoy the process of breaking in their knots. Personally I'd just like a bit of a head start. I'm not crazy about how harsh boars can be during the first uses.

I can certainly respect that some people enjoy the process of breaking in their knots. Personally I'd just like a bit of a head start. I'm not crazy about how harsh boars can be during the first uses.
Honestly, I get the shortcut.... but I’ve never actually felt boars to be too harsh on the onset. They are good to start, and they just get better. But, I have had some take a while to get better, so I can appreciate the shortcut for some brushes.

Back