The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How to Avoid Water Damage in Your Electric Space Heater

ElliottEmaip

Shave Newbie
What causes water accumulation in an electric space heater and how can it be prevented?

I have a low-quality plastic space heater that I occasionally use. Recently, when I moved it to a different location and turned it on, it produced steam and hissing sounds. I immediately unplugged it and noticed some water dripping from it. There is no drainage system in this model. Is this a common phenomenon for electric space heaters and what are the potential risks and solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone didn’t accidentally spill something on it, it may just be from general condensation of a wet/humid environment? Can’t think of anything else that would explain it.

Those are most generally either a ceramic block or metal resistance elements that has current pass through to make your heat.
There should be nothing in them that produces, uses, or should even have water anywhere near.

The potential risk is turning into an uncontrolled short circuit and starting a fire.

The only reasons I can think of for water to be in there is either something was spilled into it, or rare slight possibility if used and put outside or somewhere cold before it had a chance to cool and it made some condensation.

If it was popping at you, there is a risk that there was arcing internally that could burn wire insulation making it completely unsafe.

The ceramic ones are better than the element models.
Personally I prefer the oil filled registers with a thermostat, but you need to make sure you have clearance on all sides of those. There are no exposed elements in them to collect dust (potential fire hazard) or be affected by a spill.

Back