The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How often to condition your strop

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
I was recently asked by another TSC member when you should apply oil to your strop. The answer to me is somewhat subjective as are most things in wet shaving. To me, all your strop really needs is the natural oils from your hands, which is very little in the way of oil. I will every few weeks take my strop off its hook and lay it flat on the table and firmly rub my palm on the strop in a circular motion all the way up and down the strop several times. Almost every shave, I will rub my forearm over the strop before I begin stropping. This has always done the trick for me and none of my strops are dry at all. Some others may chime in offering to use a couple drops of neatsfoot to give it a solid refresh, that is if it had not been used in some time. Though, that's just it! If the strop is used often and handled often it may not need any oil at all, but if its sitting in a hot room with copious sunlight and has not been used in quite some time, yes it will likely dry out a little bit. Bringing it back to life may require a couple drops of neatsfoot oil applied to your palm and then rubbed in the same way mentioned above.

I will caution you that if you add too much oil, it will be extremely difficult to impossible to remove it. This will also, likely result in a discoloring of the leather from its original look. I always suggest putting the oil directly on your hand and rubbing it in a drop or two at a time. If you apply the oil directly to the strop you may end up with an uneven application, resulting in darker spots. ALSO, if you add too much oil it could greatly increase the amount of draw your strop has, slowing down your laps. Some like this added draw, where as others like a fast strop, but I thought I'd mention that this is a possible result as well.

I would reserve oil applications to as necessary and not as a regular routine, because that oil shouldn't be going anywhere for a really long time.

NOW, if you have a vintage strop, that's a different story and an entirely different thread that needs started. :)

Good luck,

Matt

One tip that I was given, but don't know if it is good advice or not, is to only apply oil (neatsfoot, etc.) to the rough side of the strop, not the stropping surface.

But, I just rub the leather down with clean hands once in a while It seems like the oils from skin are enough to keep the leather nice.

One tip that I was given, but don't know if it is good advice or not, is to only apply oil (neatsfoot, etc.) to the rough side of the strop, not the stropping surface.

But, I just rub the leather down with clean hands once in a while It seems like the oils from skin are enough to keep the leather nice.
I've never heard that bit of info, but I think it makes sense to a point because the oil should be pulled through the fibers and into the front of the trop itself. I don't have any experience with this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I hadn’t heard that before.

When I reconditioned the stop in my Rolls Razor I used the same conditioner I use on boots and other leathers. Obenauf Heavy Duty LP. I applied it lightly and then wiped off any excess that didn't soak in after about a minute. The strop is working very well now.

A good strop will employ some of the animal oil that remains during the tanning process. Synthetic or "plether: strops may benefit from Neatsfoot, however if you strop using the oils from you own hand, by rubbing the strop with the palm of your hand, or forearm, that is all you need. Over time the build up of the oils make the strop even better IMHO

The few times that I've added oil (mink) to a strop I have always added it to the water dampened back side. Oddly the water dampening helps spread a very small amount of oil evenly.

Some time after the strop has absorbed the oil I usually find myself trying to remove the oil from the stropping surface with up to daily damp cloth wiping. I'm more cautious of adding oil than any other treatments that I might do to a strop. Less is best.

Back