The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How many strops between shaves??

jgreenepa

TSC's "Velveteen Shaver"
Howard Schecter the honemeister recommends no more than ten strokes between shaves. Others recommend up to a hundred including pasted strops followed by a leather strop. What’s your personal regimen? I do about 12 strokes on a a pasted strop followed by 20 - 30 strokes on a leather strop. That’s worked fine for me. I end up going back to the stones for a refinish, depending on the steel, between about 9 - 14 mos. what’s your experience been?

I don’t think more stropping would hurt anything really unless your technique is off. I think 20 on leather is an absolute minimum, you’ve got to get that edge alignment back. If the edge is one of the most important parts of the razor, no harm in taking a little extra time to take extra good care of it!

Personally I do 15 on webbing, 50 on leather before each shave. 10 on leather after a shave to ensure the edge is good and dry. If it's an edge freshly honed it gets 25 on webbing and 100 on leather before the first shave.

Depends on the steel but stropping if done right will not hurt the edge and only refine it further, like honing there is a point where the edge and the surface meet and that is as far as you can go, but it will not hurt it, again if done correctly. Normal for me is 30/60 prior to shaving and 5-10 on linen and leather duri,ng the shave, depending on how the blade feels on the skin. To me that is the most important thing in determining whether to strop more or less. An acomplished Str8 shaver should be able to feel almost every part of the edge on the face from the toe to the heal, and determine if the edge is keen to their liking.

With multiple razors and shaving once a day, it is not so critical, unless you are a stickler, Like me LOL, but in the shop where using the same edge literally 100's of passes a week, the stropping both before and after, as well as after each pass becomes critical, as otherwise you would be honing all the time, and the keenest, smoothest edge is also critical for customer comfort as you are taking the same razor, or a few and shaving over all types of different face surfaces, and all sorts of different tensile strength whiskers, diameter, thickness, resistance, and so forth

Just my 2 cents, Thanks @GearNoir

Back