The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How deep is this hole?

Marty M

Shave Newbie
Hey all, Marty here from the state of Utah. Fairly new to the wet shaving and the hole it creates. I’ve had a blast reading many of the posts and scanning all the “For Sale” posts. Using a lot of restraint here.
Other hobbies include brewing & drinking beer and running mountain trails. It’s good to meet you all.

Marty M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to The Cadre!

The hole is really as deep as you want it to be. You can absolutely be a minimalist and just get one razor, one brush, and a soap & aftershave or two, and a selection of blades and be good to go for a while. Personally, that's how I started and was happy for a while.

Then I started to want to see what else was out there, and could I improve my shaves with different equipment. And the answer was YES! I've found things I love and things I hate. But it's all about the journey, and keeping the hobby within bounds of what you want it to be.

Enjoy the journey, and let us know how we can help along the way. We love answering questions!

How deep is this hole? About half way to China, before you get imploded by the pressure and incinerated by the extreme heat... I’m speaking from personal experience.

Welcome to the Cadre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Cadre Marty!
giphy.gif

Welcome to the Cadre, Marty! As for how deep is the hole or forest?
Well, you can only go 1/2way through it, as then you're starting to come out the other side.

Well, you can only go 1/2way through it, as then you're starting to come out the other side.
I don't think any of us have ever come near the halfway point..... And the further we go, the deeper the hole gets. It's exponential growth.... always more to see (and try)!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I’ve stopped buying soaps, for now. I have plenty. Then I found a great razor that I really like, until I read the long thread on most efficient razors and the hunt began. Luckily for me, most are sold out. So now I just enjoy what I have. Here is the razor that I bought that has moved to the front.
808d0a8b5cc6b084713244028ca96908.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Cadre Marty. There are lots of helpful folk around here so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome @Marty M ! Glad you could join in.

What are some of your favorite bits of traditional shaving stuff besides the Rod George (which looks awesome BTW)?

I'm a design engineer for a robotics company, so naturally I love the precision of shaving. But it is also so relaxing at the same time. I enjoy the artistry of the people hand crafting bowls, brushes, soaps and razors that are works of art. But much like brewing beer where you can chase the perfect recipe, you can chase the perfect shave. The razor/blade/soap/brush/prep combinations are endless. I'm sure some find a routine that is perfect for them, I'm just starting that journey and enjoying it immensely.

Thanks for the welcome,
Marty

Welcome Marty! You found a great bunch of guys to hang out with. Shaving is just the beginning of the stuff we do. Enjoy the fellowship of the blade!

Back