The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How and when you started?

Z-2

Hello there,

I am curious how you started with classic shaving, and do you use other types of razors , like SE or injectors.
I myself started back in 2008, when in my local stores haven`t disposables with one blade (like Bic Metal), and I just bought some Wilkinson Sword blades. Loaded a blade in my dad`s old safety razor (bulgarian, copy of Gillette Super Speed) and was so impressed with the comfort of shave, so I decided to put in trash my Sensor Excel and .. the other is history
1f60e.png

Po

I started about 4 years ago, I had only ever used electric razors until then. My wife and I were walking a mall and passed through an Art of Shaving shop out of curiosity. I was very curious and interested in such a luxurious style of grooming. My wife (who probably regrets it now, lol) encouraged me to give it a go.

I began with a Gillette Fusion and an AOS Sandalwood Essentials kit (gifted to me). My first transitional shaving razor came soon after...a Merkur 34c HD. A little over a year ago I began my newest journey with SRs and shavettes. I have stayed away from SEs so far. My first software purchase was a complete set of TOBS Sandalwood products; the cream I only just finished this year!

Traditional shaving is one of the few luxuries I allow myself, no matter how difficult life gets. I cannot now imagine having a day without it!

AOS Sandalwood remains my most favorite scent. My original brush I gave away in a PIF; my Merkur I lost during a move, and when I finally found it, it had rotted and was no longer usable.

Started @10 years ago when I got fed up with Mach 3 prices and with a little research came across some forums discussing shaving as we do. I've used de, se, shavettes and straights and while I've enjoyed myself immensely and won't go back (NO Chad......no multi blades) I have yet to save a penny from shaving this way.

I've been traditional wet-shaving for a little over 2 years now. It started when I was speaking with a co-worker about straight razor shaving after reading about it on another forum (a billiards forum). He used to straight shave when he was a roughneck (oil worker), and while he had grown a full beard while out here, he still used some AOS creams to do his touch ups and trimming. I started to do a little research, found the other place and eventually placed an order for some shaving soaps (Proraso Sandalwood, a Merkur Futur, some Feathers...because I could TAKE IT!), as well as a Dovo Best Quality straight and a Wade & Butcher straight from Ebay. The impetus for me changing was my family...none of the women types in my household like facial hair. In fact, I've been told flat out by my eldest daughter that if I come home with facial hair I won't be allowed in the house.

Well...if I'm going to be forced to shave, I'm not going to do what I did for 16 years in the military and run a multi-bladed contraption over my face as quickly as possible just to get it over with. I'm going to enjoy the process. Been doing it ever since, and won't ever go back. My recent experience with the Fusion, due to Chad's faulty enablement, re-enforced that.

I started this journey to the abyss of traditional shaving acquisition disorders a bit over one year ago in an attempt to get a more comfortable shave than the multi blade monster was giving me. Since then I have accumulated about 75 soaps/creams, a bunch of DE razors both vintage and modern, 10 straight razors, 3 shavette razors, 5 GEM SE razors, an injector, and 4 or 5 modern SE razors of different brands, 3 (soon to be 4) badger brushes, 3 (soon to be 4) boar brushes, and 6 synthetic brushes of different types. Needless to say I didn’t save much money either.

I started using a safety razor 6 years ago in 2012, I posted this to Facebook:
After posting this, a friend of mine encouraged me to check our safety razors and all other wet shaving paraphernalia. A week later, I found my first razor, a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed at an antique mall, and I was hooked! I’ve been using and collecting straight razors, stones, and brushes for the last couple of years, and couldn’t be happier. This truly is a fantastic hobby!

I started using a safety razor 6 years ago in 2012, I posted this to Facebook:
After posting this, a friend of mine encouraged me to check our safety razors and all other wet shaving paraphernalia. A week later, I found my first razor, a Gillette Flair Tip Super Speed at an antique mall, and I was hooked! I’ve been using and collecting straight razors, stones, and brushes for the last couple of years, and couldn’t be happier. This truly is a fantastic hobby!

Lol great graphic!

Hello. I’m a Dave and I started traditional shaving to save money.

Mine started in December of 2014. The wife bought me a Tub of ToBS Mr. Taylor's Cream and an Escali Pure Badger. I was very intrigued and began to research. A week later I bought a Merkur 23C Long Handle DE razor. I still have the razor...it's on loan to a friend. But that is what started it all. So if there is anyone to blame...it is my wife!

I started in October of 2014. I had gone on a trip out of town for a funeral for my wife's aunt. I grabbed a pack of 3-bladed disposable razors and grabbed one for the trip. I showered and shaved the morning of the funeral and cut my face to ribbons! I looked at the head of the razor and realized that it was the 5-bladed "bonus" razor from the pack. Looking at the blades I thought, "Wow, a big, wide, flat surface with multiple blades. Just like a cheese grater!" That was it for me.

I ordered a Merkur 34C HD, an Escali Badger Pure Badger Brush, Proraso Green Soap, and 100 Personna Blue Lab DE blades from Amazon. I also ordered a Feather Popular DE Razor from Amazon the following day due to reviews.(I should have known I was in trouble then!) Funny thing was that the Feather arrived first and that was my first DE shave.

Now I have several dozen DE, SE, Injector, and straight razors. A couple dozen brushes of all types. Thousands of blades. A couple dozen AS. And, somewhere north of 200 shaving soaps and creams. I guess I'm lucky I got into this looking for a better shave and not to save money!
1f602.png

For many years I went back and forth between cartridge razors and electric razors. In 2016 I was a Dollar Shave Club member, using their 4 blade razor, but I only shaved about once a month because I hated it. My wife was always trying to get me to shave because she hates it when my face is scratchy. I had been curious about DEs and brushes for a few years after one of my old college friends mentioned getting into traditional shaving. In February of 2016 I started looking into traditional shaving after getting fed up with the DSC carts.

On Feb. 20 2016 I had my first traditional wet shave. I quickly fell in love with this way of shaving. I have been on an acquisition streak since then and working to get the best shaves I can.

For many years I went back and forth between cartridge razors and electric razors. In 2016 I was a Dollar Shave Club member, using their 4 blade razor, but I only shaved about once a month because I hated it. My wife was always trying to get me to shave because she hates it when my face is scratchy. I had been curious about DEs and brushes for a few years after one of my old college friends mentioned getting into traditional shaving. In February of 2016 I started looking into traditional shaving after getting fed up with the DSC carts.

On Feb. 20 2016 I had my first traditional wet shave. I quickly fell in love with this way of shaving. I have been on an acquisition streak since then and working to get the best shaves I can.
The wife must be ecstatic now that you shave daily !

I will point out that she loves it that I smell nice every day now. She especially likes Pinaud Clubman.

Back