The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hot Peppers ?

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
So, who likes hot peppers.... like Jalapeño or hotter?

I have a few hot peppers growing in my garden, primarily Serranos and Habaneros. I put both of these peppers in my homemade salsa.

But it I recently found that one of my Scorpion peppers just started producing peppers. I just picked my first one. These Scorpion peppers are hot!

The Jalapeño and Serrano are around 8000 on the Scoville scale. The Habaneros are around 100K - 300K. Now, the scorpions are around 1.2 million...... so around 10 times as hot as the habanero!

The boys and I all tried a piece of it tonight. They had a tiny pice, I had a decent sized piece. They immediately went for the milk and ice cream, lol. Took about 10 minutes to calm down. Looking forward to trying these in my salsa, lol! ?

Is there any interest in me doing pepper eating videos for the site?

Is there any interest in me doing pepper eating videos for the site?

Uh...yea!

I like just bearable hot stuff once in a while. I’ve tried some ghost pepper stuff, some of those hot sauces that you just do a dab of, etc. usually I’m content with just a bag of Flamin Hot Limon Cheetos for my spice fix. ?

I'm a chile head, having spent my youth in Colorado, Texas and New Mexico. My older son is, as well, and has been hounding me for years to grow a chile patch. Unfortunately, we've both studied the concept, and have learned that chiles don't thrive in the Seattle climate. We haven't given up on indoor cultivation, but haven't been encouraged (yet). I'd love to learn how to grow habaneros (or scorpions or ghosts, or even serranos) in the house.

I love spicy food. There isn't much I won't eat. The only problem is that there is something about habaneros that makes my wife sick. She doesn't have any problems with the heart of them, it is after. I haven't tried any of those scorpions though.

I love Serrano peppers! They are soooo good! But a scorpion pepper sounds out of my league...

Pepper eating videos? I better see milk coming out of someone's nose!

Black pepper is enough spice for me

I like where you are going with this idea KJ, but I'm out as I like a little heat but more on flavor then heat. I'm a Texas Pete's kinda guy

I have been on a huge hot sauce craze as of late. Which isn't normal. I used to want a nice medium but as of late the hotter the better. BUT I have no desire to just munch on a habanero for example.

So, I guess there isn't much interest in playing along with a pepper challenge?

I'd love to learn how to grow habaneros (or scorpions or ghosts, or even serranos) in the house.

I don't think it takes much. Just keep them warm and well lit. I had some habaneros that I was overwintering in my house, and was going to plant them in my new garden this spring. They did fine, until my cat killed the plant.

Hey...I'm game...just let me know what I need to do!
OK, cool. I'm working on something that will be easy for a few folks to participate, without being insane. I'll hopefully get something up tomorrow.

As long as I’m alive after it and my tastebuds aren’t destroyed for years, I guess...I’d love to see some of our less frequently videoed folks do it though, or folks who haven’t shot a video yet!

If you missed it, the hot pepper challenge thread is up and my first video is posted.

I watched someone eat a Carolina Reaper in person...the colors their face changed to has dissuaded me from ever wanting to try it. The ~300k scoville rated "Blazin'" wings at BWW's is about as hot as I'll get for now. I'm debating getting some "Last Dab Redux" sauce from the Heatonist. It's basically a mash, (no added capsaicim extract), but is rated at over 2,000,000 scoville...to try once for myself, then to torture others out here through challenging their manhoods. They're all alpha types, so it's easy to get them to do that. LOL

I’ve got some sauce made from Trinidad scorpions and it’s delicious. Adds amazing flavor to stuff and some good heat.

i like sauces if they add flavor, but I don’t like adding heat, just for the sake of adding heat.

I like serrano peppers in my homemade guac.
If you have some, or a jar of salsa, you should bring it as a raffle prize to the KC Meet Up.

Back