The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hooked

Well, another day, another great shave. Since Dave in KY lent me his Rockwell 6s for a few days I find myself looking forward to my next shave. I'm hooked on wet shaving and on TSC. One question, is it worth a trip to Knoxville to check out the Art of Shaving store?

AOS is usually GROSSLY overpriced, but can be fun to atleast snoop around in. I would never buy a DE razor from them as you can get them cheaper online. The AOS creams though are nice performers but expensive. I personally wouldn't go out of my way to go to one, but if I was close by I usually stop in.

AOS really shines in their scents. It might be worth it to go, sniff, and get some samples to find one or two you like, if any. As Chad said, they’re pretty expensive, but I think it’s be worth buying a scent you like at least once, then finding a clone if possible. I find their creams to be some of the best non-artisan creams.

AOS really shines in their scents. It might be worth it to go, sniff, and get some samples to find one or two you like, if any. As Chad said, they’re pretty expensive, but I think it’s be worth buying a scent you like at least once, then finding a clone if possible. I find their creams to be some of the best non-artisan creams.

I did a cream test either right after we got TSC or back at the other place and AOS cream is top of the list from my testing. Proraso Single Blade and Stone Cottage new formula are right there with it though.

For the price you pay, I think you can get much better from our artisans. But, it is nice to actually go into a store, and be able to smell products and hold them in your hand. I wouldn't go out of my way, but it's fun if it's handy.

For luxury creams (i.e. higher-end stuff like TOBS, Trumper, Trufit & Hill, Castle Forbes, etc. creams) they are actually about average price-wise for what you get. There are much cheaper creams out there (Proraso, Kiss My Face, Speick, etc.) that are meant for use with a brush that perform (almost?) as well, but are not as nicely scented. If you look at artisan soaps, there is really no comparison. Soaps are a better bang-for-buck proposition almost without fail.

That being said, I love AOS creams. They are great performers and they have some great scents. Their Sandalwood is iconic. I currently don't have any AOS in my den, but I will be buying more.

Glad you're hooked. This is a wonderful hobby, & it's a daily necessity, so we get to practice every day! I started on creams, TOBs, Trumpers, T&H, & enjoyed them all. T&H was my favorite, Ultimate Comfort. Didn't try AOS creams. I switched this Spring to soaps & haven't looked back. Some stay with creams, some stay with soap, some switch between cream & soap, it's all good.
I echo other comments about going in & browsing at the AOS store, but it can all be had considerably less online. But it's good to be in a store that caters to us.

Seems like most gentlemen get there start at AOS. It is the perfect launchpad that introduces almost everyone to wet shaving. That said I have to agree with the others.

The DE's and Straights they offer are a bit overrpiced and can be had for cheaper if you look. Again the brushes they offer are excellent quality but can be had for much less from Simpsons and others in that class.

Thier soaps and creams are where they stand out and worth the try. Classic shaving scents and performance.

My suggestion is to stay away form the preshave oils and aftershaves. Oils are not nessacery and the After shaves and balms are just ok for the money

Back