The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Honey Mash from Lakewood Soap Company

giphy.gif

Wow, awesome review! Love the format and production quality. Can't wait for your next video. I predict you're going to cost me a lot of money with soap purchases, lol.
giphy.gif

Great format overall!

I like the simplicity, the wittiness/comedy, icon use, and that instead of showing a review shave, you reviewed and had snippets of the shave. Like the use of the EWG site; great resource!

I’m very appreciative that you’re doing. @Dagwoodz used to do quite a few video reviews of products (you can see them on YouTube or in our video section); since he took a hiatus, there’s been a gap in this kind of content here (not saying of course that it’s TSC exclusive content, I realize it wouldn’t be)!

Off the top of my head, some things that might be helpful/things that I came away thinking:

- having a standard baselines soap, one you feel most shavers would have used/have a feel for such as a classic like Proraso or an artisan like Stirling, which is on the decent side and folks really have no reason to get something less than in value/shave. That should be one of your first videos, something you can reference later. I guess the same could be said for identifying a really crappy soap and a soap that is at the top of your list. This would help set the stage for a relatable scale of terrible to not so good to good to great. Otherwise the ratings seem more arbitrary, which it is all personal preference of course, but could still be helpful.

- unless you’re going to explain it every time, a symbols key on screen (ie - during the ingredients listing)

- sunlight can be damaging to soaps/scent profiles? Whoa! That’s going to need some explaining!

- through your video and my perception of what was said, I heard about a number of potential shortcomings of the soap, but it consistently scored high in most areas and had a high overall score which surprised me a bit (ie - the value scale you showed for price range, the soap was at the higher end of the range, but still scored well)

Really looking forward to seeing more reviews!

Great! That was not at all meant in a hyper-critical light. I really am looking forward to more!
Oh, I known. I asked for your critique. Keep it coming. My goal is to create reviews that are useful to shavers and encourage artisans to make safer and better performing products. It is really hard to quantify this stuff because so much of it is subjective, but I want to give it my best effort. As much as I love Rud's Shave Score idea, I don't think it goes far enough to account for ingredient safety and value.

Back