The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hone 15

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
Anyone ever use the Hone 15? Thoughts? Aggression level?

One vote is all you needed. Let us know when it arrives from across the pond.

A mild yet really nice & surprisingly efficient razor. I've had about close to a dozen shaves with it (acquired the Hone Type 15 Brass on a European shave forum b/s/t almost two months back) and it has really changed my thinking on mild shavers. It's a heavy razor and that might be a negative for some but, I'm not bothered by weight or size as I think it aids most shavers in not using pressure while shaving. The Brass Hone is virtually nic & irritation proof though it can bite if one gets super comfy thinking it's a Oneblade. Again the weight of it making it a positive can turn into a negative if you use pressure or use it like a pre war tech. I've used both Feather & Kai blades in it with excellent results from both. Plus, the heat that the Brass retains is amazing especially on a chilly morning. Again, it will not shave like an Ikon Tech or a Muhle R41 where one can technically be done in one good pass or two. This razor will get you there with 3 traditional passes that will be smooth, comfortable and deceptively efficient. It might take a shave or two for some to find the angle but, it's not hard to get and keep it there.

In the few pics below, you will see the weight difference between the Brass Hone & the Pearl Hammer and the Hone has it by nearly being 50grams heavier. And the Pearl is no lightweight. Also, blade support on the Hone is excellent with nearly complete support across the width & length of the blade providing a rigid and vise like locking medium for the blade. Yes, zero blade chatter and no skipping from blade deflection or resonance. Handle looks like it will be as slippery as a greased pole from one of those Tom & Jerry cartoons where Tom is trying to climb it. Not so with the Hone as it has a microscopic pebbling that aids in grip and overall tactile feel. Overall build quality is 10/10 in my estimation. Precise alignment of the blade with perfect exposure on both sides and a buttery smooth action of threading the handle onto base plate only surpassed by the Karve Brass razor where the threaded stud end is on the handle that fits into a machined female threaded side on the baseplate. Unique yet solid union that makes the whole razor look seamless from top to bottom.

It's a unique razor that actually produces quality shave results in my experience. Absolutely no regrets in purchasing this razor. Now I'm on the elusive hunt for the Pink Whale in the Hone line up, the Type 15 Titanium. It could be I'm searching for fool's gold as only 22 in total were ever made. But, that's what adds spice to life in the shave world.

Hope this helps in painting a bit of a picture with this lesser known but, quite frankly well executed mild feeling shaver.

2BBC8E7E-46FC-4A90-B163-B778047A60DD.jpeg
IMG_20230531_091155.jpg
IMG_20230531_091202.jpg
IMG_20230531_091209.jpg
IMG_20230531_091218.jpg

Back