The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Homemade Bitters

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
Anyone out there enjoy Bitters in their drinks or cocktails? Did you know that according to the classical definition, a drink needed to have bitters to be considered a cocktail?

Basically Bitters are a concentrated flavoring made by infusing bark, herbs, fruit peels, flowers, roots, and other ingredients in alcohol. A dash or two is usually all that is needed for a drink. Two commonly found brands are Angostura and Peychaud's Bitters. These are both Anise forward, buta jam packed with other herbs as well, these are also called Aromatic Bitters. Due to the high herb content, Bitters are also used as a digestif to help with stomach aches or aid in digestion when one has overconsumed (either food or drink). Commercial Bitters usually have an alcohol content around 40-50%, but again, you're only using a tiny bit. The alcohol is used to extract the oils and flavors form the ingredients.

Some companies make bitters in a dozen or more different flavors, like: Orange, Peach, Lemon, Grapefruit, Mint, Cherry, Celery, Chocolate, Rhubarb, Cranberry, Plum, etc....

I'm a big fan of the traditional aromatic bitters from Angostura, and love making an Old Fashioned cocktail or putting a few dashes in my Gin & Tonic. A while back I was out of town and got a gin & tonic from a bar, and asked if they had bitters, the bartender pulled out a bottle and said this is all we have. I looked at it, and saw it said cinnamon. I was intrigued, and said sure why not. Turns out it was the most delicious G&T I'd ever had. I went to look for it later and discovered that that flavor had been discontinued by the company, and I've yet to find anyone else that makes cinnamon bitters. (well , I did find one, artisan product, but it wasn't nearly as good). This sort of led me down the path of wanting to make my own.

Then the other day I was in the store, and saw a new product on the shelf.... Lime Bitters. I love Lime, especially in a G&T. I looked at the price, and gasped.... $17, for a small 5oz bottle, which is like 4 times the cost of Angostura. But a bottel of bitters does last quite a long time so I decided to splurge and try it. It was ok, but not great. Tasted like lime peel mostly. I expected something more complex. That convinced me to go down the road of making it myself.

Basically making biters is kind of a two step process, but when you start researching recipes, everyone has their own method. First you get all your ingredients and soak them in alcohol (as high proof and neutral as you can find). Everclear is best, but vodka will work. (I used about 2 cups of alcohol) They should soak for 1-2 weeks, and you should agitate every day to encourage maximum extraction of flavor. After that that time you strain out all the solids and put them in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, and boil for a time to get the last bit of flavor extracted out of the ingredients. Then the water and alcohol are mixed, after cooling, and you have bitters!

I started simple and am trying 3 different flavors.

Lemon: Peels from about 4 lemons (with most of the pith removed), a little lemon juice/pulp (basically whatever I could crape out of the lemons after I juiced them), half stick cinnamon, and 1 clove.

Lime: Same as above, just with Limes instead. The lime peels were grated, unlike the lemons

Cinnamon: 4-5 crushed up cinnamon sticks, 3-4 cloves, 10 walnuts.

Still soaking so it'll be a bit before I can try it to see if it's a success or not. But I'm optimistic. Will be tweaking my recipe based on the results.

bitt.jpg

I am curious to see how the homemade tastes.... I do enjoy the angostora bitters though. Haven't tried the flavored ones though.

Cool , back in my drinking days I loved bitters in a G&T.

I didn't know it was a requirement for a true cocktail.

I didn't know it was a requirement for a true cocktail.

The term cocktail was defined in 1806 as “a stimulating liquor composed of any kind of sugar, water and bitters."

Just found this thread! A while back I read some stuff about the health benefits to bitters. Anywhere from digestive help, to fighting sugar cravings, help lowering blood pressure, to immune boosts. A lot more stuff too. Interested to see how your's turns out. And now you got me interested!

back I read some stuff about the health benefits to bitters.
Yeah, I’m not sure if those health benefits are coming from certain ingredients or combinations there of. I’m making mine obviously just for flavor, and they only have a few ingredients. I’m sure the ones that have many ingredients are better for you.

I do enjoy Underberg digestive bitters for the Relief of eating/drinking to excess. It‘s a single use 20ml serving meant to be drank all at once. It’s very herby tasting, and not really the type of bitters you’d add to a drink.

F6537BEA-DB89-464A-9405-2F42D8D741CA.jpeg

Yeah, I’m not sure if those health benefits are coming from certain ingredients or combinations there of. I’m making mine obviously just for flavor, and they only have a few ingredients. I’m sure the ones that have many ingredients are better for you.

I do enjoy Underberg digestive bitters for the Relief of eating/drinking to excess. It‘s a single use 20ml serving meant to be drank all at once. It’s very herby tasting, and not really the type of bitters you’d add to a drink.

View attachment 25987
Totally understand...your's sound and look amazing though!

Ok, so as stated before. These jars soaked for 2-3 weeks. I then poured off all the alcohol and squeezed out anything else I could. I measured out how much alcohol there was, so that I knew how much liquid I needed to add for a 50-50 mix.

I poured the solids into a saucepan and added water. Brought to a boil, then simmered until it reduced to the proper amount. Let cool, Then poured the water into The alcohol. Let sit overnight.

at this point there were some solids that had separated to the top and bottom. I poured them through a tea towel, to filter out most of the solids. Then I poured through coffee filters to further clarify. Once done, I poured into cleaned out hot sauce containers, and had enough extra in jars to refill my bottles about 1.5 times.

ED329B9E-8D3D-4716-BE53-4D6A674AA32A.jpegD0C7E4BD-64F3-4D65-8FA1-0158A183F481.jpeg

they add great flavor to drinks, although I am using more of mine than I would a commercial product. But it was still a great first attempt. More research into other ingredients to use, especially in regards to bittering agents, might yield a better product next time. But these will last me quite a long time!

I have zero knowledge of mixed drinks, but that's a neat project KJ.

Ok, so as stated before. These jars soaked for 2-3 weeks. I then poured off all the alcohol and squeezed out anything else I could. I measured out how much alcohol there was, so that I knew how much liquid I needed to add for a 50-50 mix.

I poured the solids into a saucepan and added water. Brought to a boil, then simmered until it reduced to the proper amount. Let cool, Then poured the water into The alcohol. Let sit overnight.

at this point there were some solids that had separated to the top and bottom. I poured them through a tea towel, to filter out most of the solids. Then I poured through coffee filters to further clarify. Once done, I poured into cleaned out hot sauce containers, and had enough extra in jars to refill my bottles about 1.5 times.

View attachment 27716View attachment 27719

they add great flavor to drinks, although I am using more of mine than I would a commercial product. But it was still a great first attempt. More research into other ingredients to use, especially in regards to bittering agents, might yield a better product next time. But these will last me quite a long time!
You stated these will last a long time, is there any concern of a shelf life of the diy product since I'm sure the commercial types probably have a preservative of some type in them ? I haven't drank in years so I don't remember anything about that stuff which was why I was asking ?

is there any concern of a shelf life of the diy product since I'm sure the commercial types probably have a preservative of some type in them ?
Alcohol..... that's the preservative.

Back