The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hi from Virginia

gembo

Shave Newbie
Hello!
I've been wetshaving for about 6 years now and I love it. The heft of the razor compared to plastic. The smells of the soaps and aftershaves. The ritual of lathering up and removing my hair. Feels very manly and continuous to history, in that my grandfathers probably shaved this way and it connects me to that history.

I'm looking for more people who get it and like discussing different soaps and such and just a sense of community
Thanks
Gembo

Welcome Gembo! Glad you could join in!

What are some of your favorite traditional shaving items right now?

I really am liking the sample I have of Stirling sharp dressed man soap and this aftershave balm my brother got me. It's Virtue Sandalwood and Bergamot balm. Very creamy and smells very nice like a warm spring day

Welcome to the forum!!!

I'm looking for more people who get it and like discussing different soaps and such and just a sense of community
This is exactly what we are about here. If you want, we have a Sunday Zoom call coming up this Sunday. We get together and discuss shaving, bourbon, what's going on in our lives, and other hobbies. Click HERE to sign up if interested.

I'm much the same about the history and link to our families. I'm lucky enough to have my (maternal)Great Grandfather's Gillette Fatboy and my (paternal) Great Grandfather's Torrey Straight Razor. Do you have any family Razor?

What is your go to Shaving soap and aftershave?

Any other Hobbies?

Matt

Welcome to the forum!!!

This is exactly what we are about here. If you want, we have a Sunday Zoom call coming up this Sunday. We get together and discuss shaving, bourbon, what's going on in our lives, and other hobbies. Click HERE to sign up if interested.

I'm much the same about the history and link to our families. I'm lucky enough to have my (maternal)Great Grandfather's Gillette Fatboy and my (paternal) Great Grandfather's Torrey Straight Razor. Do you have any family Razor?

What is your go to Shaving soap and aftershave?

Any other Hobbies?

Matt
Unfortunately I was born after my grandfathers passed on and nobody saved their shaving materials. Their children and surviving siblings in the case of my maternal grandfather just weren't interested. So I ended up with nice razor from west coast shaving. Titanium and a rose wood handle. Worked perfect for my face. Just the right amount of aggression.

Right now I have a bunch of samples I'm trying to use up from both TOBS and Stirling. Favorite of the bunch is a toss up between two soaps. TOBS avocado and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. The avocado is a very light warm temperature scent and the Stirling is just the right scent for a walk around town.

My aftershave right now is a thick balm in a tube called Virtue Sandalwood and Bergamot. Feels rich and creamy with a nice herbal scent. I also have a bottle of Nivea cooling aftershave balm but I'm waiting until it warms up a bit more outside. I used it one morning and was surprised by how cooling it felt in the wind haha

I'm a reader in addition to traditional shaving with an interest in the middle ages and fantasy novels. I also am a big fan of Levar Burtons podcast where he reads sci-fi shrot stories. What a voice. I'm trying to work on fitness and noticed there's a bit of that here. I'm glad for it. I workout at home due to disability and having people to discuss what I'm trying and to help troubleshoot is helpful

Unfortunately I was born after my grandfathers passed on and nobody saved their shaving materials. Their children and surviving siblings in the case of my maternal grandfather just weren't interested. So I ended up with nice razor from west coast shaving. Titanium and a rose wood handle. Worked perfect for my face. Just the right amount of aggression.

Right now I have a bunch of samples I'm trying to use up from both TOBS and Stirling. Favorite of the bunch is a toss up between two soaps. TOBS avocado and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man. The avocado is a very light warm temperature scent and the Stirling is just the right scent for a walk around town.

My aftershave right now is a thick balm in a tube called Virtue Sandalwood and Bergamot. Feels rich and creamy with a nice herbal scent. I also have a bottle of Nivea cooling aftershave balm but I'm waiting until it warms up a bit more outside. I used it one morning and was surprised by how cooling it felt in the wind haha

I'm a reader in addition to traditional shaving with an interest in the middle ages and fantasy novels. I also am a big fan of Levar Burtons podcast where he reads sci-fi shrot stories. What a voice. I'm trying to work on fitness and noticed there's a bit of that here. I'm glad for it. I workout at home due to disability and having people to discuss what I'm trying and to help troubleshoot is helpful
I actually remember shaving my eyebrows off with my Grandfather's Fatboy! :ROFLMAO: He died shortly after I was born, but because I played with that razor, for some reason, my mom hung onto it and gave it to me when I was in my early 30's. His straight razor strop which was the household instrument of corporal punishment was promptly cut up and thrown away upon liquidation of my Grandmother's estate. It would have been well tanned and broken in by the backsides of several generations of our family(mine included).

TOBS Avocado never sat well with me, it was weird to have a food smell upon my face, but it was protective if I remember it well. You cannot go wrong with Sharp Dressed Man, Green Irish Tweed is a classic scent! I am actually using the bath soap variant at the moment.

I am fond of Nivea cooling myself, but I started out using splashes like Aqua Velva, Pinaud Clubman, and Skin Bracer. I only started using balms for every shave in the last few years.

Brilliant, I'm a big fan of vintage dystopian sci-fi novels and most Michael Crichton novels. Let me know when you want to get into straight razors, they are near the genesis of our hobby and basically all I shave with. Great to see you found the fitness section, I need to visit that area more myself. :rolleyes:

Take care!

Welcome to The Cadre! Good to have you here. Lots of amazing people here so anything you want to know or need to ask, we're here for you!

Lots to see, read, and get involved with here. We're much more than just a wet shaving forum. I'm here for the camaraderie more than anything else. We have so much fun. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Hello!
I've been wetshaving for about 6 years now and I love it. The heft of the razor compared to plastic. The smells of the soaps and aftershaves. The ritual of lathering up and removing my hair. Feels very manly and continuous to history, in that my grandfathers probably shaved this way and it connects me to that history.

Thanks
Gembo
Welcome

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Cadre! This is a special place, and is unique amongst the myriad places on the net focused on wetshaving. I also love TOBS Avocado. It's a soap I've stocked up on, just toake sure I always have some.

There's so much here to explore. Enjoy looking around, and be sure and take a look at the journals. There's really nowhere else like it.

It's great to see you here!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back