The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello to the Cadre!

Dagwoodz

TSC's Movie Star
Veteran
Legacy
Hello everyone! My name is Josh and I've been wet shaving for almost two years now, starting around July 2016. I'm a Army veteran, and still work in my given profession overseas as an analyst. I'm full on obsessed with this wonderful hobby, and while I mainly shave with straight razors, the dual edge and single edge razors make their way into my rotation periodically.

I do hone my own straight razors using a Shobudani Suahiro Japanese Natural stone. I'm infatuated with the variety in this hobby. My other interests include Newcastle United (HWTL!), billiards, poker and golf, though since being married, I haven't had the time to spend on the last three. I enjoy sharing information and as opportunity permits, soaps and other shaving items! You can keep up with me on my shaving journal, along with many of the other original cadre members who are all, to a man, wonderfully supportive and a wealth of information!

Hello Josh. Thanks for your service and welcome. I agree that the variety is the best part of this hobby. I have a variety of classic razors like Injectors and Gillette’s, as well as some modern razors. One of my personal favorites is my 1940s Gillette Tech ball end. It works so well for me; but, my go to is my WSP El Grande closed comb. Lee from WSP was the first artisan I met and I decided to try his DE. I loved his razor and products so much, I even got my brother a WSP starter set for his birthday a couple of years ago. He likes how cheap the blades are and how mild the razor is.

I want to learn how to hone my strait razors eventually; but, I have to get stropping down first. I can only seem to get two or three shaves from them before they stop cutting efficiently. I have been using a Feather straight razor for the convenience.

Gojira76 said:
Hello Josh. Thanks for your service and welcome. I agree that the variety is the best part of this hobby. I have a variety of classic razors like Injectors and Gillette’s, as well as some modern razors. One of my personal favorites is my 1940s Gillette Tech ball end. It works so well for me; but, my go to is my WSP El Grande closed comb. Lee from WSP was the first artisan I met and I decided to try his DE. I loved his razor and products so much, I even got my brother a WSP starter set for his birthday a couple of years ago. He likes how cheap the blades are and how mild the razor is.

I want to learn how to hone my strait razors eventually; but, I have to get stropping down first. I can only seem to get two or three shaves from them before they stop cutting efficiently. I have been using a Feather straight razor for the convenience.

Thanks Josh...the vintage safety razors are special indeed. The honing is something that definitely takes time to learn. As far as the stropping goes, just remember that just use the weight of the razor and take your time, keeping the entire razor spine in contact with the strop at all times. This will ensure that you don't roll the edge, and will keep you from nicking your strop! The Feather SR is one I have yet to try...WSP is one of my favorite artisans as well...Lee puts out a great product!

Back