The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello, my name is...

Smattayu

"The TSC's Comic Book Savant"
Legacy
Hobbyist
Hello all. My name is Eric, and I started this journey into traditional wet shaving about two and a half years ago. I learned to shave with my dad's Gillette SuperSpeed when I was a kid, but switched to carts when he did. After a couple decades of shaving with carts, and living with the welts all over my neck caused by tons of ingrown hairs from the less-than-wonderful "lift and cut" action, I saw a mention of DE safety razors on a blog that I was reading. I was surprised that they still made them, but was immediately curious and started taking a look at what was available.

Lots of looking around and reading reviews on different brands and models led me to a couple forums that were dedicated to traditional wet shaving. That led to reading about brushes, shaving soaps, creams that didn't come from a can, and every other part of this wonderful hobby. After a couple weeks of absorbing everything I could I made my first orders, and a few days later learned what it was like to shave without acquiring ingrown hairs from the process. It took a week or so of learning how to get it right for my neck to clear up, and I haven't had to deal with that pain since.

Throughout my intro into shaving awesomeness, I kept running across mentions of straight razors. My initial reaction was "not a chance", which took about a month to morph into "I must have one". I ordered my first straight, a Ralf Aust, and have accumulated a small collection of mostly vintage straight razors.

Within a year I had started crafting my own scales, doing some light restoration on vintage straight razors, and turning shaving brush handles. A fair number of shaving soaps, creams, aftershaves, and fragrances have been accumulated in the last couple years as well. I'm still loving this hobby, and am thrilled to be a part of The Shaving Cadre.

Great intro Eric!

Glad to have you here as one of the Legacy Members!

Always good to learn more about everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Don’t forget you also shaved with an following a month of no shaves (No-shave-November). Safe to say nobody else on the forum has done that.

Great intro Eric! Someone is going to have to find the axe shave and upload it...have to prove your credentials as a dyed in the wool stunt shaver!

Welcome Eric. The quality of the stuff coming out of your dungeon cannot be overstated.

Many thanks for the welcome and kind words guys! My brain is mostly disabled by overuse after the events of this morning, so I might just be missing how to post a video, but here is a link to the hatchet shave if anyone wants to take a look:

Eric, that hatchet shave is scary! I did see that you used mirrors, though.
1f609.png
Good to see you here!

Blade4vor said:
Eric, that hatchet shave is scary! I did see that you used mirrors, though.
1f609.png
Good to see you here!
Lol, thanks Rob. A mirror was a must. I had to go mirror-less once with a straight razor, and that was scary enough.

McVeyMac said:
Ready for a shave Eric?

And a double bladed one to boot. You're kind of tempting me, Walt.

Smattayu said:
Lol, thanks Rob. A mirror was a must. I had to go mirror-less once with a straight razor, and that was scary enough.
Smattayu said:
And a double bladed one to boot. You're kind of tempting me, Walt.
Only half the rinses with twice the real estate shaved Eric. Something to consider. I think that all of the lather on your face would fit on the bits and enable a no rinse pass. Now that's one for the books.

Hard not to recognize that avatar out of a line up!

Nice to make your acquaintance!

Back