The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Utah

Well it sounds like I should give it a second try. \nI did also notice that I could not get a lather that would last. Maybe you have some suggestions there?
\n\nIll be making a video on that in the near future. I’ve done them in the past on other sites. My biggest suggestion is to hydrate the puck well. Like soak a new puck overnight before it’s first use.

Okay. I will pick up a puck tomorrow and give it a soak.
I will also go back to the other place and see if I can find a video to watch...

thanks

P.S. Is there a way to subscribe to specific threads or posts on this site?

Okay. I will pick up a puck tomorrow and give it a soak. \nI will also go back to the other place and see if I can find a video to watch...\n\nthanks\n\nP.S. Is there a way to subscribe to specific threads or posts on this site?
\n\nI don’t know if you can subscribe to threads. I know you can for ones you started, but not sure about others.\n\nlook for the Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence. I have a couple videos at the start of that thread.

I don’t know if you can subscribe to threads. I know you can for ones you started, but not sure about others.

look for the Williams Institute for Shaving Excellence. I have a couple videos at the start of that thread.

The plus sign in the header bar is a follow button. I think that's what it's for but I've not used it myself.

Welcome to the forums Bob!

The plus sign in the header bar is a follow button. I think that's what it's for but I've not used it myself.
Ah, you're right. When I hover my mouse over it, it does say follow topic. I was trying it from my phone when I replied earlier, and it changed to a minus sign when I hit it, but it gave me no indication of what it was doing.

Yup the plus button is the subscribe button. Two other features we are spending a lot of time on are being able to tag people and also to have a notifications bar on the site.

Welcome to TSC, Bob! I think everyone has pretty well covered some excellent soaps that are in your price preference, but I'll go o record as saying that Stirling Iced Pineapple is downright amazing.

Welcome to the TSC. You will get lots of recommendations around here.

Hi Bob,

Palmolive sticks are not known for their scent, but they lather well for me and I was able to get them shipped very reasonably. I find Arko to lather well - better than Williams and they have that basic soap scent like Ivory.

Soaps last a long time for me as I only swirl the brush about 5x to get enough for two passes, so if you can stretch it a bit and look around you may spend a bit more than $10, but have a soap for many many months or more.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Anyone ever used Fine soap? How is it? Does it compare to stirling.

i think I will also jump up to about $15 to open up the options some more.

Anyone suggest a good sandlewood? And also a good barbershop?

Fine is a good staple product around here I think. Especially their aftershaves (I just tried their Platinum for the first time recently, heavenly!). Catch them on sale at Italian Barber or something and you’ve got a heck of a deal. I haven’t tried Stirling products yet though, but they seem pretty nice too.

As for sandalwoods, I’ve tried AOS, DR Harris, TOBS, and Proraso. AOS is my favorite scent out of those, but for bang for you buck, you can’t go wrong with Proraso Red with matching AS.

I’ve only tried one true Barbershop scent, and that’s Jeeves of Hudson Street. It’s a great warm scent and hits just about every mark for shave quality. Good stuff.

I’m sure the others will chime in here.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Anyone ever used Fine soap? How is it? Does it compare to stirling.\n\ni think I will also jump up to about $15 to open up the options some more. \n\nAnyone suggest a good sandlewood? And also a good barbershop?
\n\nThe Fine soaps are good performers. I think they perform similarly to Tabac, but with a bunch of different scents. The scents are also fairly strong, IMHO. Fine soaps are pretty hard, so they should last a good while, as well. The Santal Absolut smells just like the NOS Art of Shaving Tallow shaving soap if you\'ve had the chance to smell that one. I bought 3 different scents of soaps when the were first released, along with matching aftershaves. The aftershave ingredients are just alcohol, water, menthol, and fragrance. \n\nRight now my favorite sandalwood scented soap is Wet Shaving Products Formula T Sandalwood shaving soap. I hadn\'t used this soap for a while and was really impressed with the scent and performance upon revisiting it this week. The Formula T Barbershop is a good scent, too. WSP also has a veggie shaving soap in their Rustic line, which is a couple of dollars cheaper. They also offer free shipping on orders over $15 if you sign-up for their email newsletter. Sometimes they sell dented tins for $5-6 off of regular price. Both Formula T and Rustic lines are cured for a while, so they are concentrated and should last. FYI: I do not work for WSP and have paid for every tin I own.\n\nMike\'s Natural Soaps has what is probably my favorite Barber Shop scent. Mike\'s was my first artisan shaving soap that I ever tried about 3 years ago. Mike offers his soaps in jars, pucks(for a few dollars off of jar price,) and sample pucks. His scents are very nice in my opinion with medium scent strength. Mike\'s Natural Soaps are an old stand-by for me and I hope he never stops making his soaps. Again, FYI: I\'m just a happy customer of Mike\'s and have paid for everything I own from Mike\'s Natural Soaps.\n\nI really like shaving soaps and have quite a collection of them(a few anyway.
1f64a.png
) Good luck keeping your shaving soap collection to a minimum!

Fine soaps are a great way to go, they are well scented and last a long time. ...so you better like the scent. I don’t like the Fine Santal Absolute, people say it’s great but I guess I don’t like that style of sandalwood. I would say I don’t like sandalwoods but CMH737 turned me onto D.R. Harris sandalwoods...THAT I like a lot. Dave (xeno not nurse ) sent me some exquisite Sandalwood but I am drawing a blank on the name. I like spicy more than creamy. WSP makes a good Sandalwood but it’s more creamy than spicy.

If I were trying to keep you on budget (I’m a financial advisor so I’m used to doing that) I would follow Chad’s advice. Razorock is quite affordable and pretty decent. Pick it up to save shipping then start setting a few bucks aside now and then so you can pick up other stuff later.

Dont be too afraid of blind buys, if you don’t like it you can probably arrange a trade with another TSC member. It’s going to cost about $3.75 to send a soap or two so plan for that. I’m not likely to be any help with sandalwoods but I am not opposed to a trade here or there. We’ve not started any pass arounds but when those come up they can be a great opportunity. If you are going to do a pass around you’ll want to budget for a medium flat rate box. All in good time.

Fine Accoutrements soaps and after shave and now their colognes are all great performers!

I'll vote for Fine Accoutrements Santal Absolut for the sandalwood scent.

Barbershop is very open to interpretation as to what one defines as barbershop scent. To me Maggards Razor London Barber Shop is a great one and so is Soap Commander Honor. Fine American Blend as been described as a barber shop scent. Oh and don't forget Clubman shaving soap for a barber shop scent.

Back