The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from PA

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
Hello all,

I am new to the site but not to wet shaving. I have been wet shaving, both DE and straights, for 7 or 8 years (after doing wrong for 25+ lol). I like all of it, but I have a particular interest in vintage straight razors that are local to my area (Little Valley, Ellicottville, and Olean NY, as well as Bradford PA).

Welcome to the Cadre Fenster, Glad to have you join us and hope you jump right in to conversations with both feet.............................................well, fingers I guess (y)

Welcome to the TSC @Fenster !!! It appears that you live mightily close to a couple other Cadre Members! Thinking of @ShawnF off the top of my head! Pull up a chair and jump into the conversation!

Welcome, a lot of super nice people in the cadre. I am pretty new as well couple month.
We will get along fine as long as you ARE NOT a Pittsburgh Steeler fan ha ha

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

@gobucks5485 , I was a Steelers fan growing up (T. Bradshaw Era) but haven't been into Football for a number of years, so I think we will be OK, lol.

Welcome @Fenster ! Cool that you’re in to SRs! What kinds of other gear do you enjoy for soaps/brushes/etc?

Welcome, @Fenster . Welcome to TSC. This is a very friendly forum. Many SR shavers here, so you will have lots of company. :)

I am over in the Pittsburgh suburbs, so you can guess my favorite football and hockey teams are. I also root for the Red Sox and Celtics, as I hail from Massachusetts. For the record, I last followed that region's football team when they wore their red Minuteman uniforms!

Welcome @Fenster ! Cool that you’re in to SRs! What kinds of other gear do you enjoy for soaps/brushes/etc?

I’m not a huge gear junkie aside from the SR’s. In fact, for the first 4 years of my wet shaving my equipment consisted of only the following – a couple of soaps at a time (a Stirling and TOBS triple milled Sandalwood), one best badger brush, Geo Trumper Limes Skin Food and a Merkur 34C. For blades I did go through a sampler of 15 – 20 blades early on and found a couple that I liked and bought a 100 count of my favorites and rarely used anything else. That’s it, I was very utilitarian.

The last 4 years or so have been a little different and I have acquired more stuff and tried many more things, but still less than most guys here I would guess, lol. Currently I have 4 or 5 DE’s, a GEM SE, maybe 6 - 7 soaps at a time (Stirling, A&E, Zingari Man, etc), 4 Brushes (Badger, Boar, and Synth), numerous aftershaves/balms/preshaves etc. I don't have any high dollar or custom items in my collection, mostly decent user grade stuff, lol.

I’m not a huge gear junkie aside from the SR’s. In fact, for the first 4 years of my wet shaving my equipment consisted of only the following – a couple of soaps at a time (a Stirling and TOBS triple milled Sandalwood), one best badger brush, Geo Trumper Limes Skin Food and a Merkur 34C. For blades I did go through a sampler of 15 – 20 blades early on and found a couple that I liked and bought a 100 count of my favorites and rarely used anything else. That’s it, I was very utilitarian.

The last 4 years or so have been a little different and I have acquired more stuff and tried many more things, but still less than most guys here I would guess, lol. Currently I have 4 or 5 DE’s, a GEM SE, maybe 6 - 7 soaps at a time (Stirling, A&E, Zingari Man, etc), 4 Brushes (Badger, Boar, and Synth), numerous aftershaves/balms/preshaves etc. I don't have any high dollar or custom items in my collection, mostly decent user grade stuff, lol.
Sounds like an awesome assortment to me 👍

That is VERY local to me. I live between Bradford and Olean, and work in Ellicottvile.

That is VERY local to me. I live between Bradford and Olean, and work in Ellicottvile.

Wow, we are VERY,VERY close then. maybe 10 -15 miles / 10 - 15 minutes max. So Limestone or Allegheny? I live in Lewis Run, work in Bradford, grew up in Salamanca.

Back