The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Oregon

Welcome to TSC from a native Oregonian willing transplanted to Houston, Texas. Have fun on your journey. This is a great place to learn. Tell us about your blades. Are you a straight razor shaver?

Thanks!!

I'm not, not yet. I've been exploring DE's, learning how to make a lather and having a great time doing it. I've got your usual starter assortment of vintage Gillettes (English Tech, Slim, Fatboy, SS and an Old type) as well as a RR GameChanger with a few plates.

For the last few weeks I'm been using the Tech a lot really concentraing on getting my angles correct. I've been struggling a bit to keep it steep on my neck passes.

SR's are the next challenge once I have the vaguest idea what I'm doing. I've been haunting TSC for a bit now and have been learning a ton reading from all the experienced members here.

Thanks for reaching out @Longhaultanker!

Hi Adam!

Looks like you’ve got a bunch of great razors - that’s impressive for having been in the game for 6 months! And we have a bunch of straight razor shavers that would love to help you down that rabbit hole as well!

Also, we have a famous Nurse in our group that is an alumni from Oregon State - so I’m sure he’ll be stoked that you’ve joined as well.

A little bit of admin here - The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Again Welcome and I desperately wanted to put a gif in from the movie Singles (which I know took place in Seattle) - but the lead singer mentioned playing in Oregon. So can we pretend this one mentions the band playing in Portland? 😂

1675863303019.gif

Welcome to The Cadre! Lots of knowledge here, feel free to ask any questions you have. We have a lot of fun here too, outside just wet shaving. Join in on the fun! (bingo, zoom calls, etc....)

Welcome Adam! Glad you could join in!

Great list of DEs! What are you enjoying as far as brushes and soaps/aftershaves?

Hi Adam!

Looks like you’ve got a bunch of great razors - that’s impressive for having been in the game for 6 months! And we have a bunch of straight razor shavers that would love to help you down that rabbit hole as well!

Also, we have a famous Nurse in our group that is an alumni from Oregon State - so I’m sure he’ll be stoked that you’ve joined as well.

A little bit of admin here - The forum is a wealth of info and good gentlemanly forums. Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster , @Scuttlesoap

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Again Welcome and I desperately wanted to put a gif in from the movie Singles (which I know took place in Seattle) - but the lead singer mentioned playing in Oregon. So can we pretend this one mentions the band playing in Portland? 😂

View attachment 104593

HAHAHA!

Thank you for the information and administrative links @Scuttlesoap! And thank you for picking a cool themed gif - if only nearby - rather than choosing something from Portlandia. GAH! :)

I've been ghosting here for a little bit and TSC sure looks like a nice clubhouse where a lot of great, experienced people hang out. Looking forward to learning and participating more!

Welcome to The Cadre! Lots of knowledge here, feel free to ask any questions you have. We have a lot of fun here too, outside just wet shaving. Join in on the fun! (bingo, zoom calls, etc....)

I saw the Bingo and Zoom calls - that's fantastic!! I'm looking forward to checking those out!

Welcome Adam! Glad you could join in!

Great list of DEs! What are you enjoying as far as brushes and soaps/aftershaves?

Thanks Chris!! I appreciate that man. The interesting one is the English Aluminum Tech. It was a gift and my first Tech. I like it! But it's so lightweight, and my technique is so raw, that I have a tendency to use too much pressure with it. I'm working on it. :) I put my GameChanger handle on it recently and I'm not sure if that helps or not. It's heavier but the balance is pretty end-heavy. I'm questing for my vintage smooth daily driver, keeping my eye out for "that" cool Tech that speaks to me, you know? It's been a fun journey so far.

My shifting brush collection has stabilized finally. For a few more months at least. I say that just having purchased an unbleached Zenith boar!

1675879689715.png

I'm in a boar mode right now. I started out with two PAA synthetic brushes (perigrino and something else) but I wasn't in love with how crazy soft they were, nor how the handles felt. I eventually gave those away, replacing them with Bruce and Big Bruce synthetics which I liked more. But then I was given a tiny little Omega 40033 by a friend and fell in love with that knot. Well, once it broke in :) The Bruce's were, in hindsight, just too soft and I found I prefer more backbone. I'm also evolving into a face lather'er it turns out. I started with bowl lathering but with the boars I enjoy the time I spend scrubbing my face.

But the clownishly small handle of the omega was an issue. I did some boar research and ended up with a Omega Jade Boar and a Zenith B33 copper bleached boar. Those have been my go to's, I've been using the Jade exclusively trying to break it in. I'm on shave 36 and it's getting there. Slowly! I'm looking forward to trying this larger handle 507 Zenith and this knot. Although I bet this will take forever to break in.

I also have a Semoge SOC Mistura that I haven't even taken out of the box yet. The plan is to break in these boars then learn the Mistura. I suspect that'll serve as a bridge into the world of badger. That's the hope!

When I was looking for my first soap I figured there had to be a local shaving soap maker. I mean come on, this is Portland. I think there's someone making soap every two blocks is my neighborhood. I found Mike's Natural Soaps and have been using his Barbershop a lot. I just spent a month with Arko just to satisfy my curiosity about that classic soap. I'm done with it for a while though :). A few months back I went crazy and got, in a few batches, like 30-40 soap samples, and have been slowing working through all those. The Wholly Kaw and Catie's Bubbles bases seem amazing, and MdC Agrumes has stood out so far scent wise, but I haven't settled on a favorite yet.

I made a DYI roll up stick of Stirling Sheep from a Black Friday spasm purchase of a 4.5oz refill puck and I really like it. Very luxurious! Perhaps most excitingly, I have a tub of F-base ETHOS Sucess and the skin food in route right now!! It arrives tomorrow. It's my first high end soap purchase and what I plan to use with the Mistrua. That was wildly impulsive - I have all these samples but none of ETHOS :).

Sorry to ramble on! I'm home with a head cold today, too much time on my hands.

Last edited:
Back