The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello Fellow Shavers

srqshaver

Jr. Shave Member
Hello. My name is Eric and I have fallen in love with shaving as a hobby. I live in Florida with my lovely wife and daughter. I have a background in IT and am an avid Linux and Open Source user. I mention this because I see a number of parallels between technology and shaving. I can "geek out" with either one, either learning the ins and outs of computers or learning all the idiosyncrasies and techniques of shaving gear. They both scratch the same itch, so to speak.

I've shaved with cartridges for most of my life, every so often trying an electric to see if I could find an easier way. Electric razors never quite took so I assumed shaving was always going to be one of those joyless necessities of life. I did try a safety razor about ten years ago but was a busy guy that didn't want to take the time to learn how to use it properly. After a few poor shaves, I chucked the gear in a drawer and promptly forgot all about it.

Fast forward to last summer and once again I found myself dreading shaving enough to try something different. Rather than trying yet another electric razor that I'd likely give away (my father-in-law didn't seem to mind) I decided to do some searching and was once again reminded that wet shaving is a thing. That jogged my memory about having a safety razor somewhere. Turns out it was a Merkur 33C which is a decent razor. I had some no-name blades and a terrible little brush, both of which I quickly realized were not helping. I bought a blade sampler, a PAA Atomic Rocket, and a tub of Proraso red and started having really good shaves and, much to my surprise, I was enjoying it. That was eight months ago and now I am completely hooked. I have acquired a ton of gear, mostly razors and blades as well as a few more brushes and soaps. I have flipped shaving from being something that I despised into one of the most enjoyable things I look forward to.

Beyond loving the gear and the practice, I have also started meeting some amazing people who have been unbelievably kind and generous. I have met a lot of fellow shavers but even vendors and artisans who have taken an interest in my SOTD pics, forum posts, and most recently, YouTube videos. I feel very fortunate to have found this hobby and community. I hope I have the opportunity to get to know all of you at the Cadre as well. Shave on!

Welcome to The Cadre! This is a great place to hang out. We have a lot of fun here and discuss a lot more than just wet shaving.

We also have a video section where some of us do VLOGs. Just be sure to read the TOU, if you decide to add your videos to the Forum. It would be great to add another perspective to our member videos.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I have been enjoying reading the posts here. There seems to be a great mix of shaving knowledge and fooling around, just the way I like it!

@Spider - I will definitely check out the member videos section. Thanks for the head up!

Welcome to the forum! Atomic Rocket was my first synthetic and now my primary brush. Great brush for the money.
Thanks! I honestly would be happy with any of their brushes. The quality is outstanding for $20. I'd really like to have the Peregrino and Solar Flare.

Thanks! I honestly would be happy with any of their brushes. The quality is outstanding for $20. I'd really like to have the Peregrino and Solar Flare.
I participated in a synthetic brush passaround and I did not like The Green Ray AT ALL. Nothing wrong quality wise, but the knot was the complete opposite of the Rocket's.

Super glad to have you here with us! Your story is very similar to my own!

We take all kinds and have a great community! You should join us for some zoom calls, they are a riot!

Matt

I participated in a synthetic brush passaround and I did not like The Green Ray AT ALL. Nothing wrong quality wise, but the knot was the complete opposite of the Rocket's.
That's good to know. That knot is a bit different, well, the shape at least. It wasn't high on the list, fortunately. It seems like most people like the Peregrino and Solar Flare so I should be ok with those.

Back