The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Heavy Moisturizing Cream Comparioson

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
I don't know if anyone else uses moisturizing cream, but I've tried and compared three, so I thought Id compare the results. I tried Ponds Crema A, Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream, and Keihls Ultra.

All three are heavy, and require a bit of massaging to get absorbed. Ponds is perfumed, and the scent lingers. I only know this to be true for this variety. Cetaphil and Kiehl's is lightly scented.

All three are comparable in the rate of absorption.

Ponds leaves the skin feeling supple much longer than the others.
Keihls does a good job, but nowhere nears justifying the price.

Cetaphil and Ponds absorb similarly.

I'll probably stick with Ponds, even with the scent. It lasts the longest of the three by far.

These are of course, subjective, but the overall preference is pretty firmly Ponds.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Good to know!

Post shave I currently use a small mix of Mary Kay lotion and Nivea soothing aftershave balm.

Unfortunately Nivea by itself isn’t always able to fully moisturize my worse dry spots. The little bit of extra MK lotion helps that. I despite heavy moisturizers but this seems to work for me without feeling gross.

Other than WH and AS I dont use much in the terms of after care. I have some Nivea lotions and what not that I use. I need to get back into the full regimen of after care...

I have been doing afternoon rucks for about three miles a few times a week and I started to notice that my face was getting a bit weathered looking. So I have been using a mineral sunscreen while rucking, but also have been moisturizing after my showers. My wife gave me a cream to try. It's called Saturday Skin. At first glance it seems to be a thick and heavy moisturizer cream. But a little goes a really long way. and you just need tiny daubs. It rubs in pretty easy. It's definitely not the cheapest of creams at all. The wife gets some kind of crazy discount on it so we don't pay full retail. But if I am honest with myself...this is probably the best cream I have used on my face and I can definitely tell.

As part of my shaving service to clients a “rest facial” massage is done. I have tried numerous facial creams that have the right level of moisture, not oily, and good dissipation. All the while leaving the face well hydrated after so mush moisture being removed during a 3-pass/3-towel shave. It also needs to react well with the final hot towel for steam conversion prior to all the post shave products.

I have found the PONDS in the turquoise lidded container is the best. Nice fragrance, very slick on the fingers for the massage and works perfectly for the above requirements. Over time it improves facial condition, helps with shave irritation and overall follicular health

It should be noted I use this product multiple times per day everyday

It is recommended however, that if used apply a hot towel after application or a water rinse. Otherwise you could see some follicle clogging

It is recommended however, that if used apply a hot towel after application or a water rinse. Otherwise you could see some follicle clogging

This is great information.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back