The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Head shavers

NurseDave

“The TSC’s Cobb Salad”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
My BIL is interested in taking a safety razor for a spin on his noggin when they come down for Christmas. For those of you that do this on a regular basis, is the post shave routine the same as your face? I assume it would be, but figure I should ask before giving suggestion. #thayerslemon

My routine is generally the same - but the top of my head is tougher than my face so I can use more aggressive razors. I do a little extra - using witch hazel and alum block before hitting the aftershave. I don‘t often use those on my face. I also find that my noggin‘s skin dries out quicker so I usually finish with a balm.

I would recommend using a razor with a longer handle for the first time - I found it was easier to learn head shaving and hone my technique and he’d be less apt to press down which would lead to a nasty cut. Also a longer handle helps you maintain the proper angle for The Whole shave

A mild razor and as Brian mentioned, use a balm, not an alcohol-based AS. Probably also best to restrict the first bunch of shaves to WTG (i.e. top-down) passes only, as his head might be a little sensitive when starting out.

Back