The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Grooming Dept

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
Who knows about Grooming Dept soaps. I never paid them no nevermind, but went to look up their tea scented soap and see all their soaps with birds on them are sold out. Are these super great soaps? Or do they just make them in limited numbers for some reason?

This is one of the artisans that I've been monitoring waiting for them to release another batch of soaps, which happens only infrequently. Their duck fat soap is supposed to rival Declaration Grooming's bison tallow in performance. There are a couple of people here who have tried it I think, they would be able to shed a little light on it.

ETA: just visited the site, and they just had a release about 90 minutes ago, (rose & incense) and it's already sold out. This was not the duck fat formulation, either.

I have two Grooming Dept soaps and I must be honest I am not sold on them. The lather is different. People say to compare to L&L/ Declaration and I like L&L but I feel my Grooming is not as good. I have a duck fat one and a tallow version. I might move them along.

Interesting, Chad. If they aren't the same quality as DG, the scents really don't get me excited. Might be one of those that might be passed on by, as too much of a hassle to wait around for a release.

Dagwoodz said:
Interesting, Chad. If they aren't the same quality as DG, the scents really don't get me excited. Might be one of those that might be passed on by, as too much of a hassle to wait around for a release.

I'll be honest it could be me. But you know those stringy lathers you get sometimes. I always seem to get that stringy pastey lather mess when I use Grooming Dept. Out of all my impulse buys in the last 6 months I think I hate that one the most.

I've tried to Grooming Dept soaps, and really like the performance of both. The lather was a little tricky for me, only because it doesn't give the voluminous yogurty lather that I really enjoy in some of my top performers. It is plenty slick, and the post shave is excellent. The scents fit more in the niche range, and Wonderland did not do it for me at all. Overall a good soap, but not so good that I'd rush to get more.

Cvargo said:
I'll be honest it could be me. But you know those stringy lathers you get sometimes. I always seem to get that stringy pastey lather mess when I use Grooming Dept. Out of all my impulse buys in the last 6 months I think I hate that one the most.

That's funny...when I get that stringy lather, I actually get excited now. Though I will say the first time I experienced that was with Mystic Water, and it ended up being the amazing disappearing lather.

Dagwoodz said:
That's funny...when I get that stringy lather, I actually get excited now. Though I will say the first time I experienced that was with Mystic Water, and it ended up being the amazing disappearing lather.

i had the disappearing lather problem with St. Charles Shave soap. Smattayu sent me a sample and i tried three times and had to make lather twice during each of those shaves. I think it was my water and that soap hate each other

I’m with Chad on this one. The lather is very unconventional BUT it works. The samples I have each have pretty intense scent strenght, which I like, but the scents themselves are a little different. The biggest turn off for me is the cost. Given the excessive cost compared to the kind of lather ...I’m falling on the wrong side of the fence. That’s hard for me to say because I like strong scents and unique lather...dang it, maybe I do want some.

I have yet to pull the trigger on this one. A lot of people love them, but finding one that I want in stock is a bit of a hassle. So I have basically stopped looking at them. Too many great soaps out there that make it easy to spend my money.

I've been so tempted by Grooming Dept, but the last 5 or 6 soaps I've purchased have been 1 RazoRock and the rest Barrister and Mann. The last greatest new soap for me was Desmond's Barrow. I loved that soap! I bought a handful of the tins and then they were no longer available. I've been waiting and watching the newest latest greatest artisans to see what happens. I must be getting jaded!
1f60b.png

I have used two different GD soaps, beef tallow and lamb tallow, and I think they are phenomenal! They can take a lot of water without getting drippy, and the post shave for me is second only to Wild West Shaving Co. (NO RELATION!)

Plus, the two scents that I have are stunning. I know stuff like this is subjective, but Grooming Dept is my number two soap.

WildWest74 said:
I have used two different GD soaps, beef tallow and lamb tallow, and I think they are phenomenal! They can take a lot of water without getting drippy, and the post shave for me is second only to Wild West Shaving Co. (NO RELATION!)

Plus, the two scents that I have are stunning. I know stuff like this is subjective, but Grooming Dept is my number two soap.

I'd like to get my hands on their tea scent for sure, but it seems like you REALLY need to monitor their releases and jump on it right away.

Back