The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Grooming Department: Coattails

GearNoir

“The Disney Princess’s Apprentice”
Coattails - Beef Tallow. Scent notes: Saffron, Clove, Oud and Vetiver.

Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil, Beef Tallow, Cupuacu Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Sunflower Lecithin, Sodium Lactate.

Word on the street is that Mohammed does use soaps from other vendors (shhhh, it’s a secret!). Coattails is his product based on the inspiration from soaps such as Panama 1924, SMN, and ABC. It is one of his newer concoctions...and it does not disappoint!

In reflecting on the last two samples I tried. Coattails is very different, in a wholly positive way. It is pretty much a very soft croap (not quite a cream). If TOBS creams were to turn artisan, this would be what they’re shooting for.

The scent is really hard to pin for an untrained shnoz such as I have, but it comes of very green, fresh, with a touch of what I might call fern. It must be the clove/saffron mix that really is upfront. I would say it is a step up for in-shave slickness in comparison to the last two and also a step up in ease of lather forming. I want to emphasize that I used about a pea sized bit of product and had enough lather for 3 passes and a lather soak! Coattails hold just as much water as it’s GD brethren but in a superior way. The scent might not be exactly what I’d look for (though I hear there may be an almond scent in the works) but the performance...it may be the finest I’ve had out of a soap yet (in my very limited experience).

I’m very grateful for these new experiences. The generosity of the traditional shaving community is great.

Though I do want to reiterate with these reviews I’m doing that I have no stake/claim/or personal interest in these companies.

Do you have any experiences with using Coattails? Please share!

The scent profile seems really intriguing.

I think that’s a good way to look at it. I’ve found so far that, other than the Absinthe & Leather, the GD soaps I’ve tried have scents where it is very difficult to distinguish any single note above the others...or I may just not have to nose for it! None have been off-putting though thankfully.

I got mostly clove from it, which wasn't bad, as I like clove. But the lather wasn't my favorite and am in the process of trading it.
At this price point I much prefer Wholly Kaw.
Glad I got a chance to try it. ?

Back