The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Golf Adventures

I love golf. Although I came to game relatively late (but thankfully not that late), it has become part of my lifestyle. I think of myself as a "golfer" and, as such, much of my thoughts, time, social schedule, money, etc., revolve around and relate to the game. Here's a shot from the 9th tee at my home club on a steamy morning in July of this year:

I love this track--it is very old and was designed by a famous architect. Tons of replay value. However, last week I had the opportunity to play a true bucket list course. One of the best in Michigan, the Midwest, or (arguably) the country: Arcadia Bluffs. Built on natural sand dunes on the shore of Lake Michigan, the views from every hole are absolutely astounding. Here's a view from the 3rd hole, which is the highest point on the course:

The view from the par-5 11th. The fairway slopes severely from left-to-right. The green (barely visible in this shot) is perched right on the edge of the bluff.

Finally, a shot from the tee box of 12th. This hole runs parallel to the edge of the bluff--the wind here was so intense! After hitting our tee balls (FIR for our author, thank you very much), our foursome all hit balls into the lake. Our elevation on the bluff was an optical illusion; it took forever for the balls to hit the water!

All-in-all, it was a wonderful day and a highlight of my golf season. I hope to make this an annual pilgrimage going forward.

If anyone else loves the game or gets the chance to play, post here. I'll try to keep it updated with any new and fun adventures. Thanks for reading.

Great read John, thanks for sharing! Beautiful course!

Never really got into golf (except for the mini kind occasionally). Maybe some day! It’s a great social game and the technical aspects would probably be a great challenge for me.

Absolutely stunning photos. I am an avid golfer myself. Here are some pics from one of my favorite courses down in central Utah. This is from a couple years ago, and I was 90 pounds heavier! No it isn't a hole in one shot but it is an Albatross on a 585 yard Par5! Best shot of my life thus far!

Great read John, thanks for sharing! Beautiful course!

Never really got into golf (except for the mini kind occasionally). Maybe some day! It’s a great social game and the technical aspects would probably be a great challenge for me.

Thanks Chris! Golf is fun in a sick way. Definitely suits obsessive personalities--I think we have a few of those around here.

Absolutely stunning photos. I am an avid golfer myself. Here are some pics from one of my favorite courses down in central Utah. This is from a couple years ago, and I was 90 pounds heavier! No it isn't a hole in one shot but it is an Albatross on a 585 yard Par5! Best shot of my life thus far!

Wow, beautiful course Chad. And great shot! I don't have a hole-in-one either, but I'd be pretty happy with an albatross.

I don't play golf much, but John that course looks fun!

I've played mini-golf and used to frequent a local driving range, but that's as far as I ever got with a ball and club. I did have a nice driver of my own, as I really liked the driving range, but I never went to a course and played a full round.

I did play disk golf a LOT when I lived in NC though. I did really enjoy that, but haven't done it since I moved back to PA in 2000. No place even remotely close to play, and I don't think I even have my disks anymore....

Very happy for Tiger. This win seemed humble if that makes sense

Very happy for Tiger. This win seemed humble if that makes sense

Yes, definitely makes sense. He had fallen so far—it seems like his golf game and personal life are in a good place. This win really seemed to mean a lot to him. Humble and appreciative.

Disappointing loss for the US. Our boys just seem to have trouble playing well overseas. We’ll get them in Wisconsin in 2020.

Preparing to tee off on the 18th in Punta Cana, DR. Attempted to hit a cut off of the bunker you can just see there in the distance... Didn’t cut as much as I wanted, but otherwise a great tee ball. Didn’t have a great round overall, but it felt good to be swinging a club! Hopefully only a couple more weeks before we’ll be ready to go in Michigan...

I am so jealous that you are golfing right now! Our courses are covered in snow. But I bet we are about 2 weeks away from being able to golf.

Preparing to tee off on the 18th in Punta Cana, DR. Attempted to hit a cut off of the bunker you can just see there in the distance... Didn’t cut as much as I wanted, but otherwise a great tee ball. Didn’t have a great round overall, but it felt good to be swinging a club! Hopefully only a couple more weeks before we’ll be ready to go in Michigan...
View attachment 564
Nice John!

Just drove through Pebble Beach/17 mike drive an hour ago and the weather looks fairly comparable! Beautiful day for a round or people watching.

Nice John!

Just drove through Pebble Beach/17 mike drive an hour ago and the weather looks fairly comparable! Beautiful day for a round or people watching.
Pebble is just a little bit nicer than where I was playing 😂

I’d love to play there one day, but it’s a steep greens fee! US Open there this year, so it will be fun to see it in championship condition.

RE-ENACTMENT:
A few yrs ago at Crooked Tree Golf Course Water Par three............... Have not golfed since.........Rockand the Pitching Wedge as well, I went into a 6 month slump and DONE!, LOL

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Back