The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Go Army Beat Navy Special Release

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I had this one-of-a-kind made for me specifically for today. Mint Julep scent. Packaging is bad ass IMO.

No matter what branch you served and no matter what you shave with - thank you for your service and happy and healthy holidays!

With that said - Go Army Beat Navy!

1607805983286.jpeg

I had this one-of-a-kind made for me specifically for today. Mint Julep scent. Packaging is bad ass IMO.

No matter what branch you served and no matter what you shave with - thank you for your service and happy and healthy holidays!

Well it looks like the soap and AS were lucky charms today!
1607815731573.png

View attachment 42370

Last edited:
But onto the soap and AS:
Scent: Well I picked it out (Mint Julep - Bourbon & Mint with a splash of coming effervescence) so I may be a little biased - I love anything with citrus, boozy, or mint- so 2 out 3 ain’t bad. What I love about Irene from GG is that she is so talented with the scents - I have yet to stump her. I have a special needs son that has started shaving and she has made soaps & AS for him like Cotton Candy and Cherry 🍒 Cola. He always enjoys his shaves!

Performance: While this this always subjective - I find it provides substantial protection and slickness. The foam is not as dense as a Kaizen or Grooming Dept - but I find it much easier to lather - it isn’t especially thirsty. Both the stick version (for this special release) and the tub form are in the harder side, the stick is definitely harder than the tub version- definitely not a croap.

For the aftershave - it is thicker than most splashes - but it’s not a balm. The thicker splash is due to the glycerin base. I can see how some can define the initial feeling as tacky - but that feeling - i have found dissipates quickly and leaves behind a “feel good” softness. You can have menthol or synthetic cooling agents added to both the soaps and AS.

Cost: The cost of soap (in tub form) and the AS are on par with most artisans out there. I find that the stick is a real bargain at less than $7. The real value though is the customized scents.

Overall: I enjoy Ginger’s Garden products. Irene’s customer service is top notch. If you are in the market for something different - or want to tailor a soap or AS to your favorite scents - i would recommend giving GG a try.

That packaging is great! In my experience, her aftershaves are very soothing, although they tend to feel a bit tacky on my skin for an hour or so as they dry, perhaps due to aloe vera, and they smell great. I like them.
Thanks! I know what you mean about the tackiness- I think you‘re right- it’s either the aloe or the glycerin. It seems to dissipate quickly. I like that she is always up to the challenge of new scents.

Back