The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Glossary of Wet Shaving Terms and Acronyms

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
The Glossary Of Wet Shaving Terms and Acronyms:

3 T’s: The 3 T’s of wet shaving are Geo F Trumper, Taylor of Old Bond St and Truefitt & Hill. These are three of the oldest wet shaving suppliers, each with over 100 years of experience, all located in the UK.

AD: Acquisition Disorder. This is a term the wet shaving community uses to refer to the impulse to obtain more of a wet shaving item, such as shaving soaps (SSAD), shaving creams (SCAD), shaving brushes (SBAD), razors (RAD), etc…

AOS: The Art of Shaving. A US chain of stores that sells high end shaving supplies.

AS/ASB/ASL/ASM : After shave/After shave balm / After shave lotion / After shave milk.

ASAD : After Shave Acquisition Disorder. See AD.

ATG : Against the grain (a stroke with the razor made against the direction of growth).

BBS: Baby butt smooth. A completely smooth shave result. Rubbing with the fingertips or cotton ball can’t detect any sort of stubble left, period. See also DBBS, HCBBS, DFS, CCS and SAS.

Badger: Badger hair shaving brush. High Mountain White (HMW), Silver Tip, 1 or 2 band, Best, Pure are all ways to describe Quality or grade of badger hair used.

Boar: Boar hair shaving brush.

Blade Buffing: Repeatedly dragging a razor blade over an area of the skin using short, rapid strokes.

CART: Cartridge. Used to describe a disposable cartridge type razor. Sometimes used (incorrectly) to describe ALL disposable type razors, even those with fixed heads.

CCS: Close, comfortable shave. Perhaps a notch less than a DFS. WTG is completely smooth, XTG and ATG both can detect very tiny levels of stubble. See also BBS, DFS, and SAS.
CFG: (Chiseled Face Groomatorium)

CROAP: The term used to describe a lathering product that is softer than a typical Soap but firmer than a typical Cream. A very soft shave soap or hard shave cream which is atypical of the normally firm shave soaps or soft & creamy shave creams. Cella and Proraso soaps are two good examples of this type of soft soap

CTG: ‘Cross the grain’ (see XTG)

DE: Double-Edge (general type of safety razor blade)

DBBS: Dolphin Baby Butt Smooth. A shave SO smooth as to make your skin feel “as smooth as a dolphin baby’s butt.

DFS: Damn Fine Shave. A near-BBS. WTG/XTG is completely smooth, ATG will feel a little bit of light stubble.

EdC: Eau de Cologne. The most dilute form a fragrance product.

EdP: Eau de Parfum. The most concentrated form of a fragrance product.

EdT: Eau de Toilette. More concentrated than EdC but more dilute than EdP.

EO: Essential Oil. Concentrated natural oils extracted from plants used to create scents used in all manner of products, such as soaps and creams. See also FO (Fragrance Oil).

FACETERBATE: Constantly rubbing ones OWN face after an exceptionally good (usually BBS) shave. A common occurrence among new wet shavers who may never have experienced such close and comfortable shaves.

FO: Fragrance Oil. FOs are blended synthetic aromatic oils.

FRAG: Short for Fragrance. A generic term used to describe a scented product such as Edp/Edt/EdC.

GOO: Any commercially produced shaving cream or Gel.

Gel/Gel Tipped: Describes the almost gel-like soft tips a quality badger brush might have. Often considered highly desirable because of the luxurious feel on the face while lathering. Usually a result of splitting or curling of the tips of the individual hairs after being broken in.

GFT: Geo F Trumper. See also 3 T’s
GTB: Ghost Town Barber - A VERY popular scent made by CFG (Chiseled Face Groomatorium).

HHT: Hanging Hair Test; a method of determining or confirming blade sharpness in which a single “hanging” hair is dropped over the blades edge. A properly sharp edge will cut or pop the hair with ease. Numbers are added to further describe blade how well the blade may have been honed.

HONE: The method by which straight razor edges are rendered shave ready. Hone may be used as a noun and a verb. One hones a razor on a hone.

LNHC: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations an artisian soap and after shave maker.
MAD
: Multiple Acquisition Disorders. See AD.

MURPHY: A reference to Murphy’s Law, what can happen WILL happen. An injury caused by the razor may be referred to as a “visit from Murphy”.

MWF: Mitchell’s Wool Fat. Also known as “da Fat” or “The Fat”. A popular shave soap made with lanolin (a wax secreted by sheep).

MdC: Martin De Candre. A well know French maker of shave soap. MdC shave soaps are considered to be among the best and most expensive soaps available.

NEWB/Newbie: Someone who is very new to wet shaving or a wet shaving forum. Usually a self-described status.

NIB: New In Box (referring to an item that has not been used and in it’s original packing.)

NOS: New Old Stock (an item that is still in it’s original packaging/state, but no longer manufactured).

OC: open comb razor

PASS: A shave that covers the entire face once, usually in a single common direction. A multiple pass shave would mean the shaver has re-lathered and shaved the entire face more than once, usually using a different direction for each subsequent pass.

PIF: Pay It Forward. In general, the act of doing an unwarranted good deed for another person; in shaving forums, the practice of gifting shaving equipment to other members (including new members, who are new to shaving and wet shaving. PIF can be used as a noun or a verb. PIF’s may be done privately or via an open thread on a shaving forum. Open threads often ask potential recipients to follow specific instructions to be considered.

SAS: Socially Acceptable Shave. Super light stubble can be felt in all directions, even WTG; see also BBS, DFS, and CCS.

SBAD: Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder; see also AD
SC: Soap Commander an artisan soap and after shave maker

SC: Shaving Cream (watch for context of use, may also refer to Soap Commander)

SCAD: Shaving Cream Acquisition Disorder; see also AD

SE: Single-Edge (Generally used to distinguish a single edge safety razor (SE) from straight razor (SR).

SHAVETTE: A straight razor wherein the blade can be removed and replaced; Blade may be a DE type, injector type, hair shaper type or a “feather” type.

SOTD: Shave of the day (description of one day’s shaving process). May be a photo or a written description (with or without an accompanying photo). SOTD is used regardless of the actual time of day the shave occurred.

SSAD: Shaving Soap Acquisition Disorder; see also AD

STRAIGHT: Straight Razor.

STROKE(S): The movement of the blade on the face.
SV: Saponificio Varesino an Italian soap and after shave maker.

SWMBO: She Who Must Be Obeyed. The Wife or Girlfriend of the shaver. Used as a term of endearment, not necessarily to infer the spouse must actually be obeyed. …although if SWMBO decides to weigh in it is advisable she IS actually obeyed.

Synth: Synthetic. A synthetic fiber brush.

TLOH: The Lovely Other Half. A more generic reference to the spouse (lacking gender). Implies the other half is Lovely without implying he/she must be obeyed.

The Veg: Lilac Vegetal (Pinaud). A popular after shave splash with a polarizing scent. The scent is often described as having a cat urine like component …but those who are “chosen” smell only a wonderful aroma. John Wayne (the Duke) was known to wear Lilac Vegetal daily.
TabacaVeg: A 50/50 mixture of Tabac and Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal after shaves. OR A soap scented with both Lilac Vegetal and Tabac ...a rare item but it exists.

T&H: Truefitt & Hill
THB: The Holy Black an artisan soap and after shave maker.

TOBS: Taylor of Old Bond Street.

TRADITIONAL SHAVING: A style of shaving that harkens back to when shaving was more utilitarian. Equipment used included a shave brush, soap, razor or blade and various pre/post shave treatments. Generally similar to WET SHAVING.

TTO: Refers to "twist-to-open" double edged safety razors, where the silos in the head of the razor open. Occasionally called "butterfly" razors, because as the silos of the razor twist open to expose the blade, they (kind of) resemble butterfly wings. (don’t call ANYTHING a Butterfly Razor…nobody should EVER use the word butterfly to describe a razor).

Vasilli: A measurement used to describe the amount of a particular fragrance has been applied. 1 Vasilli is approximately equal to 1 pump or 1 spray.

Veggie/Veggie soap: A soap or cream made without Tallow. Sometimes referred to as being “vegan”.

WET SHAVE: Also known as TRADITIONAL SHAVING. Any form of shaving that includes the use of water, a lather and a blade. Usually meant to describe a style of shaving that includes the use of a brush to make a lather (in a bowl or on the face) and multiple passes with a razor. Wet Shave Purist might require a certain amount or type of preparation and prohibit the use of a “cartridge” razor.

WEEPER: A small amount of blood resulting from a knick, cut or injury whilst shaving.
WILLIAMS: Williams Mug Soap. A widely available and low cost (typically around $1) tallow based soap with a reputation for providing a fantastically slick lather. Considered by many to be very difficult to lather.
WSP: Wet Shaving Products an artisan soap and after shave maker

WTG: With the grain (direction for stroke with a razor)
WWSC: Wild West Shaving Co. an artisan soap and after shave maker

XTG: Across the grain (shaving at right angle to the direction of hair growth); note that ATG is against the grain.

YMMV: Your mileage may vary (i.e., you may have different results)

YKMD: "Your Kilometers May Differ”. A clever take on the more traditional YMMV used by our friends abroad who use the Metric system, instead of the Imperial system that peo
ple in the U.S. use.

edit:additional terms added 7/30/18

Odd. I was just thinking we needed a list like this, this morning!

Odd. I was just thinking we needed a list like this, this morning!
I had been thinking about making this list for awhile now but only got around to working on it while I was camping. I’m sure there will be more to add over time.

Great start Chris!

Might I suggest:

GTB: Ghost Town Barber - One of Chiseled Face's soap scents.
TabacaVeg: A 50/50 mixture of Tabac and Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal after shaves

Edit: terms have been added to master list by admin 7/30/18

Great start Chris!

Might I suggest:

GTB: Ghost Town Barber - One of Chiseled Face's soap scents.
TabacaVeg: A 50/50 mixture of Tabac and Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal after shaves
i has considered adding some of the soap makers who are commonly referenced by initials but held back because I don’t know them all.
Since you made it easy I’ll update the list to reflect your recommendations.
Tabacaveg was unintentionally omitted, I did have that one on my list but failed to type it in.

Chris,
Thank you for putting this much needed list together.
I use SB often

SB: Straight Bar Razor or Safety Bar Razor

Back