The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Glad to be on board the Cadre

Lightfoot

Shave Newbie
Just a new member check-in. This site was brought to my attention by members here that create content on the well known video platform. Wet shaver since 2014 with a primary interest in straight razor shaving and honing. I also use DE now and again to break things up occasionally. Thanks for having me.

Thanks everyone. I’m on a major oil stone kick right now for finishing straight razors. I’ve been heavily investigating some wood working resources to get a better handle on the matter. I’ve been using Arkansas stones on and off for years running off common concepts that have been circulated throughout the razor honing world and have found that information to be rather incomplete and full of misunderstandings. Fortunately the woodworking resources have shed a dramatic amount of light on the effective use of these stones. But I probably spend the bulk of my time on Japanese water stone systems.

Welcome @Lightfoot ! Glad you could join in!

What are some of your favorite SRs (or DEs) in the den right now? (actual pictures heavily encouraged)

Hi Devan! Glad to see you here and look forward to your posts. Arkansas stones definitely work and provide a fantastic edge and can be great base stones for JNAT Nagura in my experience.

We have quite a few video call get togethers if you'd like to get to know us better as well. Join if you want, we always have a good time.

Hi Devan! Glad to see you here and look forward to your posts. Arkansas stones definitely work and provide a fantastic edge and can be great base stones for JNAT Nagura in my experience.

We have quite a few video call get togethers if you'd like to get to know us better as well. Join if you want, we always have a good time.
I’ve learned more in the last 3 days going over my Arkansas stones with a 3/4” chisel and a common plane blade than years of straight razor honing. I was really shocked at how little I really understood about these stones! They’re absolutely NOT slow. It’s all pressure and surface prep. Problem is that you can’t use tool sharpening pressure with razors or you’ll wind up with flex issues and other problems if you did so there’s that…
One thing I did pick up from the world of chisel and plane blade sharpening is the concept of “the continuous stroke”. I honed up a razor coming off a Shapton 12K over to a translucent and worked with some strokes that don’t involve lifting/flipping the blade constantly and it made a huge difference to say the least.

Welcome to The Cadre Devan!

Lots of things to explore and get involved with around here. Including (but not limited to):

Artisan Vendors and Hobbyists

Shave Journals and VLOGs

Bi-weekly Zoom calls

Bingo Games

Christmas Card Exchange

And our Annual TSC CON meetup!

As you learn to navigate the site, don't hesitate to Ask ME or any of the other Concierge, if you have any questions.
Be sure to review the Terms of Use

I’ve learned more in the last 3 days going over my Arkansas stones with a 3/4” chisel and a common plane blade than years of straight razor honing. I was really shocked at how little I really understood about these stones! They’re absolutely NOT slow. It’s all pressure and surface prep. Problem is that you can’t use tool sharpening pressure with razors or you’ll wind up with flex issues and other problems if you did so there’s that…
One thing I did pick up from the world of chisel and plane blade sharpening is the concept of “the continuous stroke”. I honed up a razor coming off a Shapton 12K over to a translucent and worked with some strokes that don’t involve lifting/flipping the blade constantly and it made a huge difference to say the least.
This could make for an interesting thread for sure!! I'd like to hear more!

Welcome to The Cadre Devan!

Lots of things to explore and get involved with around here. Including (but not limited to):

Artisan Vendors and Hobbyists

Shave Journals and VLOGs

Bi-weekly Zoom calls

Bingo Games

Christmas Card Exchange

And our Annual TSC CON meetup!

As you learn to navigate the site, don't hesitate to Ask ME or any of the other Concierge, if you have any questions.
Be sure to review the Terms of Use
Thanks for the info and definitely thanks for the TOU link.

Welcome to the Cadre!

As Spider said, don't be afraid to ask any of the Concierges any questions you may have about navigating this great site. We're here to help.

Back