The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

GEM Style Razor question (Blackland Sabre vs Vintages)

BadgerFiend

Sr. Shave Member
First Responder
My only experience in the SE Gem blade world is the ATT G1. Long story short, not the razor for me. Looks great and is made superbly, but I could not get a smooth shave with it, ever (At least 50 shaves with it...).
Anyway, I’m a fan of modern razors and do not care much for vintage razors... we will leave it at that. I want to find a Gem style razor that will probably work well for me. I have liked the Blackland Sabre since it debuted but do not like the price as much. I see there are a few NOS vintage Gem style razors available on the Bay just about all the time and would be willing to try NOS vs. used. I don’t know much about the vintage styles and how they all differ (Reviews are ALL over the board; YMMV). I prefer mild razors and am willing to try anything up to a subjective “medium, 5/10.” What vintage Gem style would you recommend to start with or would I just be glad to get a Sabre? More or less, can anyone break down the vintage razors and possibly compare them to a Sabre? Thanks!

I know there are some modern Gem Style razors out there, but the ones I am thinking of are a bit pricey (Above the Tie for one). My experience (which is limited) with the vintage Gem razors is that they are aggressive. They can wack down some facial hair, but require a Huge learning curve. I think @Spider has some experience with the Gems and maybe he can help.

Thanks Don.... I definitely do not want aggressive and the ATT was “too mild” if there can be such a thing, especially for me.

I am not sure how aggressive it is, but look at the PAA Starling.

Also, if you go vintage GEM start with the "Heavy Flat Top" also known as the G-Bar. It is fairly mild.

Thanks Dkeester... I’m not a PAA fan at all and from I read, their GEM style is rather aggressive.
I’ll research the G-bar though!

I’ve never used any modern GEM style SE. I’m perfectly happy with the GEMs and Ever-Readys. So I cannot compare them.

But your best bet for a milder option would be any of the following:

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM Micromatic Flying Wing “Bullet Tip”
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM Heavy Flat Top “G-Bar”
GEM Featherweight
GEM Featherweight Deluxe
GEM Push Button
GEM Contour
GEM Contour II

I’ve never used any modern GEM style SE. I’m perfectly happy with the GEMs and Ever-Readys. So I cannot compare them.

But your best bet for a milder option would be any of the following:

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
GEM Micromatic Flying Wing “Bullet Tip”
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM Heavy Flat Top “G-Bar”
GEM Featherweight
GEM Featherweight Deluxe
GEM Push Button
GEM Contour
GEM Contour II
Yeah good luck finding an Ever Ready Streamline. Yes I know you already have one KJ but it's eluded me finding let alone reasonably priced....

Sorry to resurrect this dead thread, however, I just finished up 5 shaves in a row on a Gem junior and WOW. Great! Shaver! I will NOT be buying a Blackland Sabre anytime soon, if ever. It also changed my mind on vintage razors. So I pulled out my 70’s super speed that I was using as a decoration for my shave this evening. Fantastic as well. Not as good as the Gem but good nonetheless. Just a little update for those who care to read. Thank you. 😎
The gem is that good that I got the OK from the wife to get it replated.... any recommendations to get it replated in different/ multi colors? I saw a red/black combo on a different forum last year that caught my eye. Thanks.

Quick revival....

I'm not the biggest fan of GEM bladed razors but, of those that I do own (3), my favorites are the Sabre from Blackland and two vintage razors. A Clog-Pruf and this one here, the GEM Contour. This razor does not get a lot of love or mention in wet shave land as many consider it to be a very mild and inefficient shaver. For me though it shaves extremely well with the right mix of smoothness and efficiency that provides very comfortable shaves that are quite close.

It won't surpass my Sabre nor the Clog-Pruf but, it holds its own for my shave requirements. It's the black sheep of the GEM razor family and that might be true for most. For me though, it shows it's true colors in the shave. It's gold for me.....

20211206_192814.jpg

Quick revival....

I'm not the biggest fan of GEM bladed razors but, of those that I do own (3), my favorites are the Sabre from Blackland and two vintage razors. A Clog-Pruf and this one here, the GEM Contour. This razor does not get a lot of love or mention in wet shave land as many consider it to be a very mild and inefficient shaver. For me though it shaves extremely well with the right mix of smoothness and efficiency that provides very comfortable shaves that are quite close.

It won't surpass my Sabre nor the Clog-Pruf but, it holds its own for my shave requirements. It's the black sheep of the GEM razor family and that might be true for most. For me though, it shows it's true colors in the shave. It's gold for me.....

View attachment 69315
I just recently picked one of these up and I have to agree. It doesn't get much attention but I've found it to be a great shaver. The handle is very comfortable and I have had several very nice shaves with it.

PXL_20211218_183706417.jpgPXL_20211218_183833658.jpgPXL_20211218_183926965.jpg

Back