The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gem Featherweight Ceanup

jgreenepa

TSC's "Velveteen Shaver"
A3AD1BEE-2A8B-4D25-8038-3B901831E001.jpegA3AD1BEE-2A8B-4D25-8038-3B901831E001.jpeg

19CBB43B-CCB7-4EF8-B46E-00B4D3BB823E.jpeg
Bought a Gem Featherweight Deluxe on EBay. It was filthy.
After an ultrasonic cleaning, followed by a quick hand polish and barbicide dip; it’s now fit as a Christmas gift to my grandson. Want to start him off right before he gets caught up in that cartridge shaving quagmire. See before and after above:

I get that one of the "rules" of antiques is to never clean an item you are selling, because some folks want the patina...... but this never made any sense to me. And I've bought several that look like that or worse, but come on..... hair???? 🤢🤮 People, at least run that thing under water and rinse off the bio-hazards... ☣ You won't hurt the patina or value at all, I PROMISE!

Nice clean-up job there!

I get that one of the "rules" of antiques is to never clean an item you are selling, because some folks want the patina...... but this never made any sense to me. And I've bought several that look like that or worse, but come on..... hair???? 🤢🤮 People, at least run that thing under water and rinse off the bio-hazards... ☣ You won't hurt the patina or value at all, I PROMISE!

Nice clean-up job there!
I get it for cars! I own a ‘75 TR6. Some of my friends were upset when I did a frame-off restoration. I’m not a fan of patina, although I get how some collectors of really old 75-100 yr old vehicles like patina. Not me! Makes no sense for razors.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Mercy, starting off with a Gem? That's the one razor I have had zero luck with.

Mercy, starting off with a Gem? That's the one razor I have had zero luck with.
I initially had an issue with my Gem Jr. , but gradually learned to work with it. My new (old) Ever Ready Streamline gave me an incredible shave this morning. I have another Gem Micromatic that also gives a decent shave.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Back