The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

G5C knot

Mike Shults

Jr. Shave Member
Hey all,
Its been a while since i have been here. Fall is a busy time of the year for me at the house.
Thinking about getting a G5C knot. I really like the way synthetic brushes lather, for me i much prefer them, better lather . I have read this acts more like a natural hair brush than synth, if so i may rethink it, because i like synths. Anyways i have a 2 bed and its a lather machine. Nice and springy good flow through. I read this is a stubby knot, i do like backbone, but not overly too much backbone. I read that this can be a lather hog, depends on the loft knot size, for proper splay.

I talked with Andrew at Ap shave Co and he suggested that i go with a 26*50mm in a 29mm bored hole etc. He said that will allow for more splay for flow through. I also read that this knot needs to be set as high as possible for allowing for proper splay. Say around 52mm. But i don't want to expose glue bump if there's any on these knots . Any suggestions?

Hey Mike, glad to see you made it back to the forum.

Any suggestions?

Buy one and try it out. I have both the 2BED and the G5C and both are great knots and worth the price in my opinion.

My favorite is actually the 2BED because it just works great for me (it is also in a handle shape that I prefer so that may have something to do with it also). The G5C has softer tips and is denser and more "luxurious" but I don't get as good flow through with it. I don't remember what loft I set that one at, maybe I will try redoing it with a bigger hole or higher loft to see how it changes. I know @Luecke3262 has a G5C also and really likes his.

Hey Mike, glad to see you made it back to the forum.

Buy one and try it out. I have both the 2BED and the G5C and both are great knots and worth the price in my opinion.

My favorite is actually the 2BED because it just works great for me (it is also in a handle shape that I prefer so that may have something to do with it also). The G5C has softer tips and is denser and more "luxurious" but I don't get as good flow through with it. I don't remember what loft I set that one at, maybe I will try redoing it with a bigger hole or higher loft to see how it changes. I know @Luecke3262 has a G5C also and really likes his.
@Mike Shults The G5C is my favorite synthetic, I have had zero issues with it. Maybe try setting the knot with silicone, which can be easily removed if you don't like the loft. This is what I did and resetting the knot was super easy. Buy one with confidence and if you don't like it, yank it out and list it on the BST and one of us fan boys will buy it quickly.

Good luck mike

@Mike Shults The G5C is my favorite synthetic, I have had zero issues with it. Maybe try setting the knot with silicone, which can be easily removed if you don't like the loft. This is what I did and resetting the knot was super easy. Buy one with confidence and if you don't like it, yank it out and list it on the BST and one of us fan boys will buy it quickly.

Good luck mike
Andrew suggested that i set it 26mm knot in a 29mm bored hole, so i would have extra room for splay.

Huh, Never noticed that. I checked it and I'm not ignoring anyone, which is a shame, because there's several of you that I probably should be!
What @Fenster said is actually a lot easier to do. Simply Click on the individuals avatar and select unignore seems pretty easy to do (Even for ME !! 😆)

Huh, Never noticed that. I checked it and I'm not ignoring anyone, which is a shame, because there's several of you that I probably should be!
Oh and on another note, I agree there are Several that I would agree need to be ignored.. But alas I am not ignoring anyone either .

Back