The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Francis Newton razor

@B.Stegler That razor is from a great lineage of razor makers! They were in partnership with Greaves at one point or another and purchased the rights to J&R Dodge who produced some FANTASTIC RAZORS! They are basically one of the founding families of the Sheffield steel giants, but a smaller firm along side Wade and Butcher, Wolstenholme, Greaves, and the like. The marks from Dodge and Newton were used by George butler later in the century after the ART razor company ended up purchasing their marks( Please see my thread on George Butler and the Purchase of Francis Newton). If you share some photos of the razor I can give you a rough date, but I do know that the brand dates all the way back to 1822 in the Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers and their Marks were sold to Butler in 1932. This doesn't mean that they didn't go out before that, but I'm not sure without more digging.

The more photos you can share, the better! It would be interesting to see if it is an older Newton or a 1900's production made by George Butler. Either way, they have some great credentials and it is likely a fantastic razor. The competition was tough in Sheffield during those times, so the steel would be great and the attention to detail and grind would need to be second to none, for them to have a chance in the market. I love that they took over J&R Dodge's workshops after Dodge went bankrupt, because Dodge made some excellent razors with crazy good steel.

Hope this helps!

@B.Stegler That razor is from a great lineage of razor makers! They were in partnership with Greaves at one point or another and purchased the rights to J&R Dodge who produced some FANTASTIC RAZORS! They are basically one of the founding families of the Sheffield steel giants, but a smaller firm along side Wade and Butcher, Wolstenholme, Greaves, and the like. The marks from Dodge and Newton were used by George butler later in the century after the ART razor company ended up purchasing their marks( Please see my thread on George Butler and the Purchase of Francis Newton). If you share some photos of the razor I can give you a rough date, but I do know that the brand dates all the way back to 1822 in the Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers and their Marks were sold to Butler in 1932. This doesn't mean that they didn't go out before that, but I'm not sure without more digging.

The more photos you can share, the better! It would be interesting to see if it is an older Newton or a 1900's production made by George Butler. Either way, they have some great credentials and it is likely a fantastic razor. The competition was tough in Sheffield during those times, so the steel would be great and the attention to detail and grind would need to be second to none, for them to have a chance in the market. I love that they took over J&R Dodge's workshops after Dodge went bankrupt, because Dodge made some excellent razors with crazy good steel.

Hope this helps!
Here is some photos. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0985.jpeg
    IMG_0985.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 15
@B.Stegler

It's hard to tell without more photos, close ups of the scales and a full image of the tail(needed for dating), but I'd say this dates to the 1890's-1920's. The scales are possibly chunky old Ivory, but better pictures would tell me if it is ivory or bleached bone either way, they look natural. This razor looks A LOT like a George Butler from the heel shape and the style of the tang Jimps. appears to be a full hollow to 3/4 hollow this would also aid in dating the razor. It is a sweet razor for sure! Take more photos of both sides and good close ups and I may be able to tell more

Back