The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Frameback

Giuliogal

Shave Newbie
I apologize in advance for the "newbie" question, but what´s a frameback razor and what the difference with other blades?

Hi @Giuliogal , a frameback razor is precisely what it's name states. It is a straight razor with a low-quality steel frame on its back where a high-quality steel is attached for use as a blade. There are several reasons why these were produced and were popular. For one, in times when high-quality steel was in short supply or very expensive, a marginal amount of high-quality hardened steel could be used to produce an excellent razor. Second, the frameback design was the first "hollow ground like" razor, which made the razor easier to hone for the beginner and could produce a much thinner edge. Lastly, They could be produced very inexpensively for the home shaver, especially the razors in the Faux frameback category.

Framebacks were produced in MANY variations. Some "True frameback designs, such as those made in Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, and France. Others in Faux framebacks, some of them are made with a copper tube used as the spine, or other shapeable metal to lift the spine. Others were ground thin and the spine looked as though it were a frame back, but it's an early version of the hollow ground grind. The Faux frameback is not a novice razor. The spine is as thin as the thickest part of the blade and can be very difficult to hold without it wanting to flip around in your fingers!

True Framebacks:
French
1708286717042.png
Japanese
1708286811322.png
Swiss
1708286874732.png
Swedish
1708287053875.png

Faux Frameback Made with Copper Tube or sofer metals on the spine only.
1708287672646.png
1708287723605.png

Faux Frameback or Rattler Grind
1708287792422.png

Thank you. It clarifies everything. I just purchased a Razor "Frameback flat" made by an Italian artisan. As soon as I get my hands on it (it's with my sister in Italy), I'll post here for your perusal.

Thank you. It clarifies everything. I just purchased a Razor "Frameback flat" made by an Italian artisan. As soon as I get my hands on it (it's with my sister in Italy), I'll post here for your perusal.
I’m glad to help! I’d definitely be interested in seeing it!

Back