The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fragrances you can’t wear....

BadgerFiend

Sr. Shave Member
First Responder
I see a few pop up in scent of the day here and there.... fragrances that you can’t wear, NOT because they don’t smell good, BUT because of negative connotations (Bum dad wore it, wife/girlfriend’s ex wore it, boss wore it, etc)

I’ll start (obviously).... the first Cologne I remember my dad wearing was Pierre Cardin. Then he switch to Lagerfeld. I know there is some love for those, but in all good conscience, I never want to smell those scents again. What about you guys? (Or gals)

I have (and still try every once in a while) Terre d’Hermes EdP. The high vetiver concentration gives me a headache similar to a hangover. It sucks because I love the scent - I had a similar experience with an aftershave (PAA Monstroso). I received a sample - so I loved the scent - but after I bought the full bottle and used it normally (I only put some of the sample on the back of my hand) - the headache ensued - and this also has a high vetiver concentration.

I accidentally sprayed Yves Saint Laurent Opium in my eyes a while back and it kinda ruined it for me... Does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RL Safari...I can't do it. I have a more than 3/4 full 50 ml bottle sitting in my Dad's house and whenever I go visit I sniff test it....nope I can't do it....it is ancient...

Pierre Cardin for me, Dad wore it I have tried, just too cloying, also Drakkar Noir Back in the early 80's every High School had gallons of it walking around

Pierre Cardin for me, Dad wore it I have tried, just too cloying, also Drakkar Noir Back in the early 80's every High School had gallons of it walking around
Oh good grief, in high school, all the guys wore either Tommy, Aqua Di Gio, or a random Armani from late 90’s..... 🤢

Joop
Lagerfeld
Farenheit
Guarlain Imperiale

These were all just awful to my nose and can smell them from a mile away and detect with 100% accuracy. Pops loves Farenheit and wears it a lot but smells like a Pepper Mill Factory to my nose, way too potent.

Back