The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fondue??? Is it worth it?

CVargo

“Ya… Chris, Dave, It really is my fault"
Owner
Legacy
So I figured I would ask the Cadre.

Next week begins fall break here in Utah. So that means all football games are happening on Wednesday and Thursday. It also marks the end of the regular season. Also found out that the kids are going to be with my mother in law on Friday. So I figured it was an opportunity to treat my wife and take her out for a nice dinner seeing as during football season she tends to the kids solo quite regularly. Also with her finishing her master's program it makes things a little hectic.

We have the restaurant chain The Melting Pot downtown and considering taking her there. We have never been and honestly just trying to decide if it is worth it? Or if I should just pick one of our preferred restaurants. Thoughts from the Cadre? Anyone ever been? Is it worth it?

It's been a few years, but I have been to The Melting Pot before. The appetizer and dessert courses are done quite well, as it is the classic fondue setup (liquid cheese or liquid chocolate with various things to dip). I found the entree portion a bit odd--IIRC, it was boiling various meats in broth. Quite a bit of work and I don't recall it being that great.

That said, if you're looking for a longer/interactive dinner, it's not a bad call. If I were to do it again, I would either start there with appetizers/drinks or end there with dessert/drinks. That way you get the fun fondue experience, but don't have to commit to a meal you might not like.

I've been to the Melting Pot. Honestly, it's not a place to go to if you are hungry. You cook your own food, and end up just eating a little bit at a time. When we went, we knew nothing about it and were hungry when we got there, went with a big group, and end up still hungry when we left.

Now, if you are going for the experience, and have good conversation along the way it can be a good time. A lot of it just comes down to expectations, and you kinda know what it is going in, so probably ok.

I'd almost recommend going somewhere else for dinner, and then going to the melting pot for desert. Their chocolate dessert fondues are pretty good.

I’d say go for it. Could be a fun experience for someone who has never done it or doesn’t get to do it as often as they’d like. I’d much rather have that experience out than at home...fondue is not worth the mess at home...

Hmmm interesting info here. Looking at the menu they do a 4-course meal which is $110 per couple. It seems like a lot of food but you guys are making nervous that it wouldn't be.

Chris we actually were gifted a fondue set for our wedding. We have never used it because the mess just seems like it would be outrageous.

I dunno, we like it but have only been a couple times because of the price. The kids loved it! I don't remember being hungry after if you do all the courses. Salad, cheese fondue with veggies and stuff, hot oil with meats and then dessert. I know we didn't even finish all the dessert. I really like the taste of the cheese fondues as well. And yes, it's also a different experience that's fun.

I am a fondue fan. I used to have fondue parties with some of my friends years ago. We would do a cheese fondue course, a hot oil fondue course, and a chocolate fondue course for desert.

The Melting Pot is really good, but spendy. I have only been there a couple of times, but never left hungry. My wife and I always get a bottle of wine to go with dinner.

I say give it a try once. If it ends up not being your thing, at least you had an interesting new experience.

I am a fondue fan. I used to have fondue parties with some of my friends years ago. We would do a cheese fondue course, a hot oil fondue course, and a chocolate fondue course for desert.
Why did you stop? That sounds great! I'm pretty sure we have a fondue pot in the garage that's never been used. Now I have a hankerin' to get it out.

Why did you stop? That sounds great! I'm pretty sure we have a fondue pot in the garage that's never been used. Now I have a hankerin' to get it out.
Part of the fondue group moved away.

You definitely should get it out and give cheese fondue a try.

My wife really enjoyed going to the Melting Pot. It is definitely a great place to have a "romantic" get away. We did the couples thing and it was enough food for the both of us but it wasn't a fill yur gut thing. I do agree with the recommendation to have the appetizer/drinks followed by dessert, those are the courses that really WOW. The meats course is not bad it just lacks the wow factor of the cheese and/or chocolate course.

I say do it, your wife will enjoy it and be happy to have the alone time with you. Be prepared to hand out awhile, the pace is determined by your eating speed AND the wait staffs forethought keeping the flow going. As far as value goes, $110 spent at a nice steakhouse would be better but the atmosphere is different.

Well unless she comes up with a different restaurant I think this is where we will go. She has talked about it but we have never gone. I guess no time like the present. Plus who doesn't like cheese?

It's good to try the whole experience at least once. I've been a couple of times for the whole enchilada and the wife and I had a lot of fun.

We have also just gone there for the desert portion and had just as much fun!

We went to the SLC Melting Pot a few years ago. It was fun and the food was pretty good, but if we're going to spend $100 for dinner again, we'll go somewhere else.

We went to the SLC Melting Pot a few years ago. It was fun and the food was pretty good, but if we're going to spend $100 for dinner again, we'll go somewhere else.

We really enjoyed Ruth's Chris the last time we went tout by ourselves. (Our anniversary in April)

Any recommendations in the SLC area?

We really enjoyed Ruth's Chris the last time we went tout by ourselves. (Our anniversary in April)

Any recommendations in the SLC area?
Well, it's been quite a while since we've gone for a nice dinner in the city just the two of us. Market Street is good if you like seafood. Bombay House has good Indian. And Park City has a lot of good restaurants, we liked Purple Sage.
But as the others have mentioned, it is a nice experience to have fondue, at least once. We did enjoy the Melting Pot.

And it you do go it is a long evening with food and desert it is about 4 hrs. We love it, mostly go for desert now

Took SWMBO there for Valentine's Day one year and we really enjoyed it. It really is all about the experience. The food was pretty good, and we didn't leave hungry.

Back