The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

First GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
I just received my first GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf razor, which came in a nice Bakelite case. It's definitely usable and I'm going to try it out tonight. I'm having a hard time finding online resources to date the razor or otherwise find out any info about it. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks very much!
c6cfc06efc15a7a540b54ef75d3020c6.jpg
39b07679a7ae4875d2947447bdfff11e.jpg
2a82339759566f902855a23bf73e0971.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think KJ @Spider is the Gem aficionado around here. It's a nice shaver...just use a really light touch and hopefully you have a good blade!

I think it was like a 20 year range for those, but all my information on them is stored in the ShaveWiki, which is down right now. It’s probably been a couple years since I actually used one.

Nice one! IMO the Micromatics are a great value. Not sure of the exact dates but I believe it was made in the 40s.
Thanks! I'm just about to give it a spin.

I think it was like a 20 year range for those, but all my information on them is stored in the ShaveWiki, which is down right now. It’s probably been a couple years since I actually used one.
Thanks! From what I've found it's no older than 1940.

Thanks! I'm just about to give it a spin.

Well? How did it go? We are all dying to know if you had the best shave of your life...or if you had to go to Urgent Care and get 17 stitches? 🤪

Well, I got a close shave with the Micromatic, but it's going to take some getting used to! I think that the cutting angle being so different caused me to apply to much pressure, and that resulted in 3 nicks, a fair amount of blood, and some substantial irritation on my neck. it's definitely worth the money I paid for it, and I'll use it again for sure, but I took last night off to heal. I'm sure that with some careful practice I can get it down and find a comfortable shave.

Well, I got a close shave with the Micromatic, but it's going to take some getting used to! I think that the cutting angle being so different caused me to apply to much pressure, and that resulted in 3 nicks, a fair amount of blood, and some substantial irritation on my neck. it's definitely worth the money I paid for it, and I'll use it again for sure, but I took last night off to heal. I'm sure that with some careful practice I can get it down and find a comfortable shave.

That was pretty much my experience when I first tried a Gem. They are pretty cheap even if the blades are a little pricey! Thanks for the update!

I had two Clog Prufs towards the early end of my shaving experience. Hated them both, while loving SEs like 1914, 1912, 1924 etc.
Last year, after a tip at B&B, I got the version with the 17 teeth, (Peerless?) and whether it was my evolution as a shaver or the slightly different configuration, I achieved the best shave I've ever had with a micromatic.

Back