The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

fermented garlic honey

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
looking for someone with some knowledge on fermented foods. i made a batch of fermented chili honey with some mango honey, i thought this stuff was raw honey, but it didnt say raw honey on the jar like the coastal wildflower stuff i got. ive had the chili's and garlic sitting in the honey but it doesnt seem to be fermenting, i added a bit of the wildflower honey to the mixture but it still doesnt seem to be fermenting. should it throw the batch out and start over? it doesnt smell funky but i dont think its really fermenting. not much in the of fizzy bubbles and there doesnt seem to be any gas build up when i burp the bottle of honey. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated thanks.

I recently did a couple jars of fermented buckwheat honey & garlic, it bubbled and frothed like a beast. It’s been about 6 weeks and it has calmed down enough to leave closed up. I smoked/dried some cloves while making jerky and used some of the honey as a glaze…amazing. My daughter has been fermenting a batch and hers never got as violently bubbly as mine, I guess the type of honey makes a difference.
I think @Spider has experience here, he’s why I dared to try doing it.

yea, i think this batch may be no good. ill have to get some more honey from the farmers market on tuesday. what kind of honey do you use cbl? pacifica pure virgin has a stall over here at teh farmers market. we were up in phelan a few weeks ago for my nieces graduation and there was a honey stand on the side of the road we almost checked out. im going to try out buckwheat and some more coastal wildflower honey. i think the mango stuff mayb be a bit to processed. the lady at the stall said the mix it with some sort of mango flavoring.
i want to do a batch of honey and garlic as well.

Yep. This jar is 3 years old.
View attachment 132893
have you tried out hot honey? what should i be looking for if the batch went south? ive got garlic, habeneros, serranos, and jalapenos in this first batch i did. im gonna go down to the farmers market on tuesday and pick up some more honey and garlic. Some of the youtube videos were saying its better to use organic ingredients instead of store bought stuff, because the store bought stuff is full of pesticides which can ruin the fermentation process. how true this is not sure.

yea, i think this batch may be no good. ill have to get some more honey from the farmers market on tuesday. what kind of honey do you use cbl? pacifica pure virgin has a stall over here at teh farmers market. we were up in phelan a few weeks ago for my nieces graduation and there was a honey stand on the side of the road we almost checked out. im going to try out buckwheat and some more coastal wildflower honey. i think the mango stuff mayb be a bit to processed. the lady at the stall said the mix it with some sort of mango flavoring.
i want to do a batch of honey and garlic as well.
I used buckwheat honey I got from a restaurant supply place. Buckwheat is a very unique tasting Honey it I got it to make mead with and just never got around to it.
There are several local honey people in our area, the one in Phelan could be local to our area OR local to Palmdale/Lancaster. My dr recommend I get local honey from bees gathering and producing as close to where I live as possible. Apparently it can help build immunity to the allergens that cause me such trouble. Fortunately there are a couple very productive operations in my general area and they sell almost daily. It’s a bit expensive (very expensive) compared to supermarket honey BUT it’s not out of line with other locally produced goods. I don’t consume honey fast enough to warrant buying large amounts unless I’m making something special with it.

as an aside, I would definitely be willing to give hot honey a go.

I used buckwheat honey I got from a restaurant supply place. Buckwheat is a very unique tasting Honey it I got it to make mead with and just never got around to it.
There are several local honey people in our area, the one in Phelan could be local to our area OR local to Palmdale/Lancaster. My dr recommend I get local honey from bees gathering and producing as close to where I live as possible. Apparently it can help build immunity to the allergens that cause me such trouble. Fortunately there are a couple very productive operations in my general area and they sell almost daily. It’s a bit expensive (very expensive) compared to supermarket honey BUT it’s not out of line with other locally produced goods. I don’t consume honey fast enough to warrant buying large amounts unless I’m making something special with it.

as an aside, I would definitely be willing to give hot honey a go.
for the hot honey its the same concept as the fermented garlic honey. take habeneros, 3 jalapenos, 3 serranos and 4 to 6 garlic cloves, dice them all up to your desired thickeness, and add honey on top and let it ferment for a few weeks before use. this next batch im going to add a honey stick to the mix and see how that turns out. the lady at the honey stall was telling me that buckwheat honey is the most nutrient dense of all the honeys, so im going to give that one a try for the fermented garlic honey. gonna try some coastal wildflower honey for the hot honey. hope it works out this time. yea it can be pretty expensive as well, i got this honey for 12 bux for 16 oz at the local farmers market. they want thirty dollars for about 48oz

i was also doing some research online and a few online resrouces were to use backing soda to remove harmful products on the skin of store bought vegetables, gonna give this a try and hope it works out. they didnt have any haberneros or serranos at the local farmers market. im guessing the store bough stuff has too much pesticides on it to get fermintation working properly

Back