The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite knife type

My everyday carry is a Victorinox SAK Tinker, In the field I keep a Cutco 1765. I have a couple of Puma Buffalo Hunters that I keep in in the Get-Home bags in the cars, but they have fundamental bevel angle problems that keep them from achieving and keeping a good edge. It's a shame too, they are pretty good steel.

Well since Clip Point isn't an option Tanto.

My EDC has been a benchmade 941 for at least 15 years.

Majorrich said:
My everyday carry is a Victorinox SAK Tinker, In the field I keep a Cutco 1765. I have a couple of Puma Buffalo Hunters that I keep in in the Get-Home bags in the cars, but they have fundamental bevel angle problems that keep them from achieving and keeping a good edge. It's a shame too, they are pretty good steel.
has anyone tried to correct the bevel angle for you? I would be happy to take a run at it if you would like.

Mine is a Waterville Cutlery Trapper with the small blade having been broken a long time ago. It may not look like much, but it holds a great edge and is well over 100 years old.

DocHoliday0831 said:
has anyone tried to correct the bevel angle for you? I would be happy to take a run at it if you would like.
Definitely something to consider. It’s a shame they don’t sharpen well. They are also hamstrung with being 4140 stainless.

I typically stick with tonto points...couldn't tell you why aside from I think they look more menacing.

Tetraodon said:
Currently a spyderco endura 4, stainless scales. Only because I lost my black handled endura 4

very nice choice. My current favorites are the Benchmade Griptilian and Spyderco Para2. I also carry a Southern Grind Jackel

DocHoliday0831 said:
very nice choice. My current favorites are the Benchmade Griptilian and Spyderco Para2. I also carry a Southern Grind Jackel

Its been a good knife, I put a ziptie in the thumb hole to act like an Emerson opener, if I go hiking or fishing I always have my 110 buck in addition to my endura,

These are what I mostly have these days. The one with the case was cheap and was made in Pakistan and is the oldest. Great big bend in the tip of the blade. From what I don't recall and has some corrosion. The other my father in law gave to me. MILLER BEEF is engraved into the handle and is a better blade. Don't know the manufacturer. He retired from Miller's around 2004, but part of his job was buying promotional items - everything from t shirts to golf balls, to apparently knives. Whether he was the one that bought the knives they used on the kill floor I don't know. (Miller's was part of ConAgra at the time of his retirement) The third a Victronix. Scissors, blade, nail file/screwdriver blade, toothpick and tweezers. It gets used the most and is my daily carry. The Miller Beef one was for a long time, however.

This is my carry knife most of the time. Trying to abuse it a bit to see how it holds up. For times I don't want to walk around with a belt knife, I have a Kershaw speedsafe with a tanto tip.

Back