Deprecated: Optional parameter $tapatalkHead declared before required parameter $xfOriginData is implicitly treated as a required parameter in /home1/theshax7/public_html/src/addons/Tapatalk/Listener/Hook.php on line 210
The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ever stop and think.....

ShawnF

Possibly Ironman
Hobbyist
How we sound to the outside world?

I was thinking last night as I was standing at my sink. (Don't worry, it wasn't too hard and the pain is gone now.)
I can come here and write down that I took my SOC, whipped up some CBL BRO, went WTG and ATG with my CJB for a BBS with a little DFS, and finished with some CC AS.
That line looks like some meeting of secret government agencies to most muggles, but it paints an entire picture of a good experience to just about everyone here.

Anyway.... That was my random thought for this quarter. Hopefully I won't have another soon. They do hurt a bit...
1f606.png

I have often thought about this and when I talk to people about my hobby I do find myself dumbing the conversation down. But in the scheme of things...my entire life and they way I talk is about me making statements that I understand only the people who get me will understand. The others look at me like i'm weird and then I just laugh inside. I have always been this way and it figures that our hobby allows me to continue in this elitist attitude. Am I better than everyone else (the collective everyone...not you guys) because I traditional wet shave and can converse in a language only the Cadre Understands? You bet I am!
1f60e.png

How we sound to the outside world?

True, but I’m used to that, and having to alter my speech to the “outside world”. Wet Shavers got nothing on the Military when it comes to that. We have acronyms within acronyms! And we create acronyms for sport, even when it’s not necessary. We will create a program name, just so it can have a good acronym!

Even without the acronyms, I think how crazy a whole shaving routine sounds to the gel and cart guys. You shave how many times? 3?? And when you’re done shaving you put in how many different products??

I was talking about traditional wet shaving with a(civilian?...normal?...unenlightened?..one of those people?....Hmm, we should standardize a word for them) yesterday, and thinking much the same thing. And it's not just acronyms. Brush nomenclature alone practically encapsulates a whole other language.

I was talking about traditional wet shaving with a(civilian?...normal?...unenlightened?..one of those people?....Hmm, we should standardize a word for them) yesterday, and thinking much the same thing. And it's not just acronyms. Brush nomenclature alone practically encapsulates a whole other language.
Let's just make up an acronym for them

As a fairly new wet shaver I must say the acronyms were a bit daunting to learn, but the glossary helps a lot.

Yeah, try to explain mammoth painting to the outside world
1f602.png
You could get in trouble at work trying to talk your way around an explanation. Gee, should that be MP now?
1f60f.png

My initial impression of all the acronyms was this: What an efficient bunch of guys! Who wants to spell it out 70 times a week posting it. Plus it seemed like an initiation of sorts. I know when Shawn started spreading the wet shaving "gospel" to me with DE's and SE's I had to ask him what the heck it was. Shawn, being the efficient guy he is sent me a PIF box to show me.

Acronyms/shorthand are tricky at times. To me, B&M has always meant Brick & Mortar... as in talking about an actual physical store rather than shopping online. We’ve been using that shorthand for years. So it confused me to no end when folks started using that same abbreviation for Barrister & Mann. Still don’t really like it being used that way, even though I’ve probably done it myself.

Back