The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

ETHOS / CBL Fresh Lime Soap/Skin Food Review 05.19.2020

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
Review of: Ethos /CBL Fresh Lime Shave Soap and Skin Food Aftershave Splash

Initial Thoughts: (5.0/5.0)

Packaging is very nice at this price point, with raffia paper, good boxing and pouches. A 4oz tub, filled almost to brim, the most telling attribute is the initial fragrance off the soap. Indeed probably the most realistic and strong lime scent that I have encountered. If you were to take a fresh lime and squeeze it into your face, that would be it. A bit less acidic but the fragrance is dead on. The addition of the Ws-12 cooling agent only enhances fragrance. I would not call this a pure croap, but a medium hard soap. Over time, as with CBL soaps in different environments, the soap will harden up. No problems loading in the container, but in a nice touch a small sample spoon is included to scoop out a measured amount for bowl or alternative lathering styles. The Skin Food aftershave splash is a 2oz glass bottle that feels very good in the hand and a perfect size reducer. More on properties, ingredients in Summary portion of review

Latherability (5.0/5.0)
Lathering this soap is a breeze, for face lathering a 20 second load is more than enough to produce a perfect proto-Lather, and transfer to the face. Once built and during building, this soap explodes into a perfect creamy, super slick lather with ease. Water amounts will control consistency desired. It would be expected that similar positive results would occur in all lathering methods. One point is that the fragrance, unlike other soaps and previous versions of CBL actually increases to an SOS of 7-8 to 5 as the benchmark.

On the Face: (5.0/5.0)
Indeed this is where this soap Excels and exceeds all current soaps this author has used. The benchmark here is soaps from Italian Makers, as well as CBL’s own line. As a Brand Ambassador for Saponificio Varesino, they have long been known to this author as well as many traditional shavers as the tip of the spear in a Luxurious Shave. To this date both SV and PannaCrema Nuavia and CBL soaps have not been beaten in overall review scores in this and most categories reviewed….Until Now!

Stability: (5.0/5.0)

For each pass, and as the lather gets thinner, based on need, another outstanding factor in the stability of this lather. As creamy, wet, and slick as each previous pass with no drying, caking, or moisture loss, and perfect stability.

Glide / Slickness: (5.0/5.0)
Again, this is another 1st. Straight Razor shaving inherently needs these two properties to get a good shave. In this case it far exceeds any soap ever reviewed or used, and in a new twist it was very hard to actual hear a full hollow razor at the whisker line. Furthermore the properties of the EOS complex worked in unison with the Sebum and Sebaceous glands to not only provide a “next level” of slickness, but a glide far superior to anything used to date. It would again be expected to see this consistency across all types of shaving and razors.

Fragrance: (7.5/5.0)
One area where this offering exceeds not only the scoring system, but the benchmark soaps and manufactures listed above. The lime is true and realistic, strong but not cloying and the longevity builds during the shave, as well as post shave. That coupled with the Skin Food Aftershave Splash creates a fragrance profile, which depending on personal preference will not require the use of an EdT or P

Post Shave / Aftershave: (5.0 / 5.0)
another Winner. This author has stated with SV, especially the 70th Anniversary, that it makes the post shave skin feel alive and breathing. Healthy and fresh. With the face feeling Soft, silky, well hydrated and perfect. This offering exceeds even those standards. With the face feeling that, and with even more facial goodness and healing. This says a great deal, especially when you factor in what micro damage you do shaving your face. The moisture removed, the whiskers removed. In essence shaving at the microscopic level is a minor trauma to the face and this product becomes your face’s best friend. You could even go so far as to not use ANY post shave items and your face would still by hydrated and protected. There is just enough of the Ws-12 to give a slight cool that last, along with the Lime a good 3-4 hours post shave.

Aftershave Splash: (5.0/5.0)

Although this review was primarily for the soap, we will include the above as you really should buy them as a team. Using the Moniker of a “Skin Food” it should be noted that this is a BOLD statement with the players currently in the field SPEICK being the grand-daddy of them all, followed by SV, and then Coral Skin Food, in this authors opinion. So again the benchmark is set of the 1st two. Both well known to use natural ingredients, including with hazel, natural plant alcohols and other ingredients made to nourish and repair. The EOS complex uses over 30 different properties some proprietary and so the playing field is even for these “Aftershave Skin Foods”. This is where they all part company.

Again the ETHOS Fresh Lime exceeds and beats the old masters. Skin Feel is nothing short of a religious experience and absorbs quickly, but with the added benefit of not feeling oily, but rather as if you just place talc on your face. So, No talc needed. With all these skin nourishing items and oils you would expect a possible oily finish some hours later especially in a hot or humid climate. After 4 hours the face feel is the same, including the silky, powdery feel. Truly Unique! The Fragrance gives hint of still being there, which is also odd for a citrus top note, and a very light cooling remains. A perfect Summer Shave

+ 5 more points because I had to do the Shave twice.... Ya... 6-passes
Summary: (47.5/ 40.0)

As you can see, this is the 1st product reviewed that actually broke the scoring system! Elite in all ways and the TOP of the Heap, in this author’s opinion. As with all my reviews, they are not sponsored and or paid for. No product was given, nor did the Artisans named ask for this review it is as unbiased as it gets, and it actually de-throned my favorites, and for those that know me, that is NO SMALL task.

I do not go into price, nor cost per shave in any of my reviews, as this is completely subjective to the individual. What you feel is “worth the price” is entirely up to you and sometimes can dissuade consumers from trying items. I also do not go into the details of ingredients, as these can be researched on the Artisan Websites or via inquiry. This is purely a review on the practical and operational aspects of the products reviewed.

In closing…. Do you want this? YES! Do you need to try? YES! Is it worth it? Yes!

This product offering: ETHOS / CBL Fresh Lime soap and Fresh Lime Skin Food Aftershave receives the highest rating ever achieved and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

ethos 5.18.2020.jpg.JPG

05.19.2020.jpg

Respectfully,

Dave Eisenhuth, Owner/Administrator

The Shave Cadre

www.theshavingcadre.com

Thanks Dave! I watched your video review and promptly placed an order.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pst Dave...5+5+5+5+5+7.5+5+5 = 7(5) + 7.5 = 35 + 7.5 = 42.5

Just sayin'

Pst Dave...5+5+5+5+5+7.5+5+5 = 7(5) + 7.5 = 35 + 7.5 = 42.5

Just sayin'
There is a hidden portion of the Review that only the Angels of the ETHOS can see, so you have to be an owner of the Ethos Lime to understand.......either that or I was in a hurry

LOL

There is a hidden portion of the Review that only the Angels of the ETHOS can see, so you have to be an owner of the Ethos Lime to understand.......either that or I was in a hurry

LOL
Oooh. I guess we'll never know. :ROFLMAO:

Frank has a cherub he keeps down in the lab, he gives it a little tweak and sprinkles the tears into each batch. So itscherub tears as the secret ingredient. I’ll release Col. Sanders recipe next. 🤣

Back