The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

edp and edts

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
For those of you who have alot of exprience with edt's and edp's, why do some smell so much like chemicals and very sharp where as others dont have a chemical smell to them, i went to one of the malls around here and was sampling different frangances but most smelled why to much like a chemical or synthetic or just way to sharp. i like the way S.V.'s stuff smells but outside of that i dont have much expreience with edp's or edt's. the aftershaves i have dont have that wierd chemical smell to them. are all edt's and edp's like this or just certain ones.

There’s a lot of information that could be said on this topic…but I’ll try to keep it short.

It actually doesn’t have much to do with the designation of EDT or EDP too much…those, along with cologne, parfum, concentree, etc. are designations of perfume strength. Generally an EDP or parfum will last longer and smell stronger than an EDT or cologne.

SV smells good because it’s high quality and all natural…and you just like the scent.

It’s not uncommon at all for perfumers to use more synthetic type of scents, the issue is with how they blend them, the quality of what their using, and then how you perceive the scent to smell (which can vary widely depending on who’s smelling it).

Sometimes, a fragrance will simply highlight a certain scent in a way you’ve never smelled it before, so it may actually not be synthetic, you just aren’t used to the smell.

I recommend, if you’re on the fence about a scent, getting a sample, and giving it a good wearing. So like, try it one day, then don’t use it again for a couple weeks, then try it again. Sometimes your nose will adjust and you can appreciate the frag more. I call this the frag “opening up” to you.

What frags did you smell that were weird?

I am not an edp/edt expert but i do know that most commercially available smell good stuff is made with Aroma Chemicals. It is possible some higher end fancy stuff might include some essential oils but they wouldn't be the primary source of smell. A lot of commercially available edp/edt's use the same basic combinations of aroma chemicals then give the blend their own twist to make it unique in some way, this means that if a particular aroma chemical is offensive to your nose everything that is made with that same chemical has the potential to offend your senses in some way. As to why the commercial stuff might smell sharp or chemical like while something like SV doesn't...it may boil down to SV using fragrance oils and essential oils (I don't know exactly what SV uses but they tend to use "natural" ingredients whenever possible) rather than a lot (or any) aroma chemicals.

Aroma Chemicals are cool things, they are very much like puzzle pieces, alone they are nothing (or they may even smell very fowl) but when put together in the right way they can be a masterpiece.

There’s a lot of information that could be said on this topic…but I’ll try to keep it short.

It actually doesn’t have much to do with the designation of EDT or EDP too much…those, along with cologne, parfum, concentree, etc. are designations of perfume strength. Generally an EDP or parfum will last longer and smell stronger than an EDT or cologne.

SV smells good because it’s high quality and all natural…and you just like the scent.

It’s not uncommon at all for perfumers to use more synthetic type of scents, the issue is with how they blend them, the quality of what their using, and then how you perceive the scent to smell (which can vary widely depending on who’s smelling it).

Sometimes, a fragrance will simply highlight a certain scent in a way you’ve never smelled it before, so it may actually not be synthetic, you just aren’t used to the smell.

I recommend, if you’re on the fence about a scent, getting a sample, and giving it a good wearing. So like, try it one day, then don’t use it again for a couple weeks, then try it again. Sometimes your nose will adjust and you can appreciate the frag more. I call this the frag “opening up” to you.

What frags did you smell that were weird?
i tried some different fragances out, but most of them didn't smell right to my nose. i got some samples of malin+goetz leather and dark rum and spice bomb infrared. the spice bomb infrared is ok, but it has a note in it that sticks out and is way to sharp. the malin+goetz dark rum is really nice and deosnt smell off once it is aired out a bit. im thinking about pairing it with some bay rum. i re3ally liked the way that one smelled. i was at nordstroms and smelled different scents they had there, but i didint like most of what i smelled. i tried out some blue de channel and auqua di gio, but didnt really like those ones either. will try out some different scents. really like the s.v. stuff smells pretty natural.

could u recommend some brands to look for that have a more natural smell them?

i tried some different fragances out, but most of them didn't smell right to my nose. i got some samples of malin+goetz leather and dark rum and spice bomb infrared. the spice bomb infrared is ok, but it has a note in it that sticks out and is way to sharp. the malin+goetz dark rum is really nice and deosnt smell off once it is aired out a bit. im thinking about pairing it with some bay rum. i re3ally liked the way that one smelled. i was at nordstroms and smelled different scents they had there, but i didint like most of what i smelled. i tried out some blue de channel and auqua di gio, but didnt really like those ones either. will try out some different scents. really like the s.v. stuff smells pretty natural.

So the stuff you tried is pretty standard fare and in the right price range for decent to fairly good stuff…you just have to find a scent you like. For instance, the Bleu De Chanel and the Acqua Di Gio lines are two of the most popular and iconic designer houses in the world. I love both houses!

My suggestion is keep sampling/sniffing stuff out at department store or places like Sephora. It’s all really down to personal taste.

thanks i will take a look at sephora next i take a trip to the mall. see what i can find. so are blue de chanel and acqua di gio the actual scents or are they the frangance houses. i wasnt too sure on this

thanks i will take a look at sephora next i take a trip to the mall. see what i can find. so are blue de chanel and acqua di gio the actual scents or are they the frangance houses. i wasnt too sure on this
Chanel and Armani are the houses, Bleu De Chanel and Acqua Di Gio are the lines.

ok, i'll see if any of there other flavors are good and keep looking around at diff fragrances. if you can think of any that i should try out, let me know thanks!!

EDT and EDP refer to the concentration of the actual scent oils that are in the fragrance, the rest being perfumer's alcohol.

Many modern fragrances, especially masculine ones have that 'chemical smell' that people also call synthetic smelling.

There are plenty of more natural smelling fragrances out there, even in the dept. store, but you do have to search around a bit. Some of the older
Chanels, like Pour Monsieur and Egoiste,
Dior - Eau Sauvage (not Sauvage that comes in the blue cylindrical bottle),
just about anything from Aqua Di Parma.
Le Occitane is also fairly natural smelling.
Demeter has a huge line of scents that smell like natural (and un-natural) things

Now if you want to go deeper, there is the whole Niche side of things, where I'd start there is Lorenzo Villoresi, and Perris Monte Carlo, both have very natural scents.

As a wet shaver, I have to admit that some aftershaves I have smell better to my manly nose than any more expensive fragrance, but as we all know, they just don't last long.

Back