The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Drum Roll Please......Informal Fragrance Poll - Next ScuttleSoap Purchase

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Ok - so I believe I only have one "vice" my wetshaving hobby and that includes my fragrance collection.......While I am definitely a "best fragrance is what you like, and how you like to wear it - no matter if it is labeled for a particular sex or season" - I do have most "seasons" covered. Since I am a citrus freak - most of mine lean towards warmer months- but I do have some "colder" weather fragrances......so I am asking for assistance/recommendations from the Cadre based on 5 that I have picked out. I will post in this string with 5 separate listings - giving my reasons for considerations and my reasons for not getting it so far....

Letter A. Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EdP

1630983201233.png

Reasons to choose it: I have L'Homme Ideal EdT and absolutely love it - probably because the top notes are very citrus heavy. From everything that I have read as well as what I have scene on YouTube - the EdP, while having citrus - it is backstage and the predominant notes that hit you are Cherry and Leather. So I am considering this because I don't have a Cherry Based frag........I do have leather and most people have described this as having a powdery note in it - so it could be a cold weather barbershop scent.....(it does have lavender and tonka - two notes that fit that bill. I also have several frags from Guerlain - so I know it is done well - IMO a fantastic house. It also has almond - which reminds me of your Cella's and other Italian soaps out there.

Reasons not to choose it: Well, while I don't hate cherry - it is not my favorite fruit note nor do I particularly lean towards leather - again, I don't hate it but not a first reach.

1630983568079.png

Reasons to choose it: I have Stronger with You Freeze and absolutely love it - probably because the first note that hits you is Lime and it is done well. This one has a boozy note - which I absolutely love as well...Rum - Check! I also dig t he Stronger With You DNA - while again not specifically in my wheelhouse - this is a gourmand done well and should do well in the cold Fall and Winter Months.

Reasons not to choose it: I have several frags already that are very similar - I have MM Replica By the Fireplace which has a great chestnut note and Dior Fahrenheit EdP which has the Rum note - both have vanilla - so this frag would duplicate on a couple fronts what I already have....

1630983818537.png

Reasons to choose it: I dig the bottle. I don't have a frag that has a predominance of Cinnamon which I like. It also has tobacco notes which I like as well. Based on what I have read and seen - the pepper notes should bring a uniqueness to the frag.
Reasons not to choose it: Ok, I have to be brutally honest - it is mostly the bottle that appeals to me. While I appreciate the Spice Bomb line - and I understand why others love it......many are just in my like but not love list. Of all my choices - this should be the least expensive - though that isn't a big factor because there are none that are really cheap - and none are really extravagant.

1630984037275.png

Reasons to choose it: So this in particular isn't a cooler weather frag per se......but it has enough notes that I like and notes which should allow it to go deep into fall. This would be unique in that it has Pear and Apple notes - which I don't have a lot with those (Ultra Male and Hugo Boss Bottled Intense cover these notes - but differently. The House is well known and the frag is well done - from everything I've read and seen.

Reasons not to choose it: I have Acqua di Gio Profumo - and I am Meh........I understand why it is popular, but nothing about the frag is something that hits my buttons - it is a safe reach for me when I have to go into the office. I am nervous that for the cost of this (again - not really extravagant, but enough to be po'd if I spent it on an OK frag) that I would only just like it.

And my wildcard........

1630984481818.png

Reasons to choose it: I have both the EdT and the EdP and absolutely love both!! These are your classic fragrances - old school that are timeless not ephemeral. I am fairly certain that this would definitely be in my wheelhouse - while this is not old school in that it is a recent release - it used old school notes which are definitely in my wheelhouse. Outside of the EdT and EdP of this line, I also own Rojas Moustache, Drakkar Noir, CK Obsession, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, CK Eternity, Ted Lapidus Lapidus Pour Homme, British Sterling, Havana, Azzaro Pour Homme to name a few. It is a Chanel frag - which is top of the designers IMO.

Reasons not to choose it: Well - this would compete with the EdP for the timeframe I would wear it - possibly duplicating what I already own. This is the most expensive of the lot.

Honorable Mention:

1630984922914.png1630984948556.png

Reasons to choose it: ok, I know I said 5 - but this just squeaked in there. I own the EdT and love it - classic barbershop. This has a Rum note so bang! Also, this is the most affordable of the lot. Almost (but not quite a dumb reach - just outside the cheaper list....

Reasons not to choose it: Well - TBH - all the others stand on their own for a particular uniqueness........this would be a great frag - but nothing to write home about.

Finally - one more......

The @CVargo Eau de Canadian Whisky Peach Orchard

I don't have a pick - and TBH - this probably isn't the frag for me - it is from what has been previously described - a girly man scent - worn only by those who like wearing clothes that have black and white stripes and live in the Salt Lake area.....

To quote Jeremy Fragrance - this frag would only be worn by those insecure people that need to pretend they are in a position of authority.......otherwise it sucks......

And my wildcard........

View attachment 59984

Reasons to choose it: I have both the EdT and the EdP and absolutely love both!! These are your classic fragrances - old school that are timeless not ephemeral. I am fairly certain that this would definitely be in my wheelhouse - while this is not old school in that it is a recent release - it used old school notes which are definitely in my wheelhouse. Outside of the EdT and EdP of this line, I also own Rojas Moustache, Drakkar Noir, CK Obsession, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, CK Eternity, Ted Lapidus Lapidus Pour Homme, British Sterling, Havana, Azzaro Pour Homme to name a few. It is a Chanel frag - which is top of the designers IMO.

Reasons not to choose it: Well - this would compete with the EdP for the timeframe I would wear it - possibly duplicating what I already own. This is the most expensive of the lot.
I mean it is Dior - so still top of the line.... duh

Back