The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Do I need a boar brush?

Z-2

Hello friends,

at the moment I have 2 brushes, which are both badger - Shea moisture black badger and Simpson Special pure badger. Nothing fancy, but they do the job quite well (I`m face latherer).

I am curious about those boar bristle brushes - are they good as badgers, and do I need one of them? Which one you prefer?
1f60f.png

I see lately there are also brushes from horse and synthetics, but they seem too exotic for me
1f610.png

I have at least one of each type - boat, badger, and synthetic.

I do face lather most of the time. My synthetic is my favorite, I’ve used it almost exclusively. All of the other brushes I’ve tried so far don’t come close to how good it is, and I got it at a very good price!

Badgers are nice for softer soaps, their soft tips, and face lathering; boars are great for harder soaps, can still be soft enough, and have good backbone; synthetics are, I guess, a good mixture of the qualities of both.

It is all preference. Many of the guys here use badgers and synthetics regularly.

What qualities are you looking for in a brush? Do you know?

As an enabler, I would say yes, YES, you need a boar brush. From a practical standpoint, however, no you don't. Chris hit the nail on the head in his description the difference between the different brushes.

The only thing I would add, is that to me, there are three things (outside of where they came from and appearance) that differentiate the brush types.

Face Feel: Each brush type is going to feel quite different on the face compared to one another. I have a boar brush (a Semogue 830) that is actually softer on the face than any of my badger or synthetics. Synthetics are going to be the softest when dry (how soft varies between the type of synthetic), but typically will have more scrub/scritch when face lathering due to the corregations in the fibers. Badgers might feel very scratchy when dry, but will soften up quite a bit when soaked. The hair shafts are smooth, so when face lathering tend to feel more luxurious when combined with soft tips. Boar brushes need quite a bit of break in time to reach their potential. When they get there, they will have the most backbone out of any brush when dry. Depending on the knot type, that backbone can be lost when soaked, but the tips are extremely soft. The hairs, unlike badger, will split on the ends.

Density: In my experience, you're going to find that badger hair brushes can be packed much more densely than the other two brush types. This will provide additional backbone to the brush. Synthetics are generally next in the density category, followed up by boar.

Water and heat retention: All three brushes release water differently. Truth be told, this is where many people develop an affinity to one brush type or another. Badger brushes release water very slow, while synthetics are the opposite, they release what water is held in the knot almost immediately. Boar, from my experience, is somewhere in between. As far as heat retention, there's no contest. Badger has been shown to hold heat 30% longer than synthetics, and 50% longer than boar. This is mainly down to the density of the knots, with the hair type playing less of a role. If you had an extremely dense boar knot, I'm sure it would hold heat longer, though I'm not sure it would be able to keep up with the badger.

As pointed out, both boar and badger hair knots need to be soaked (badger for at least 30 seconds to a minute, boar 2-3 minutes), while synthetics do not since they don't absorb water.

Synthetics and boar are outstanding value for what you get, however...my preference is for badger and synthetic, but I'll always keep my Semogue around.

Well I was going to chime in, but Chris and Josh covered everything! A good boar is fairly inexpensive...I suggest and Omega Pro 49. But I would like to add that while I like my boar brushes...it took a good amount of break in before it got that way. A good synthetic is cheap enough also...but beware...there are some bad synthetics also. A horse hair brush? I have one and rarely use it. It's a good brush, but isn't better than anything else I have and is really just a novelty. If someone didn't give it to me, I likely wouldn't have one.

I definitely think you should try a boar brush. The price point on an Omega or Semogue is pretty low and both are quality options (although I prefer Semogues). The break-in process is real, as well as the need to soak for longer than the other hair types. However, the break-in is part of the fun for me. After weeks and weeks of use, the bristles on a good boar will split wonderfully and become very soft. Boars truly get better with every shave!

Well, I see you have decided to buy a Boar, so I wont say much about that, but I do concur you need to try at least one. They can have more backbone and softer tips than many badgers (after break in)
I see lately there are also brushes from horse and synthetics, but they seem too exotic for me
1f610.png

My question really, is why you think a synthetic is too exotic? In my opinion a good synthetic brush is the best choice for a new wet shaver. They are super cheap, and perform as good, if not better than many badger brushes. Synthetics have grown leaps and bounds in the past few years in terms of quality and performance. If I was left with only a synthetic, I'd be a happy shaver.

If you do buy one don't give up on it. The break-in period can be very long!

But at least there's a *brotherhood* here to help if needed

This statement right here is extremely hard to argue with.

See, I'm the oddball here too. I don't like synthetics at all. I've had a Plissoft, wife has one from whipped dog, and I have a high end Muhle. Don't really like them at all. I'll most likely never get rid of the Muhle for sentimental reasons, but I just don't like using it.

I've had a few boars though and they have been pretty good. My favorite is actually a $12 knot from whipped dog I put in my 400.

My favorite boars are the semogue 1800 and omega 11774/5. These are the only two boar brushes that have remained in my den and the rest got sold off once I started using synthetics a lot.

Back