The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Differences Between Slim Adjustable and Super Adjustables??

MichaelD47

Jr. Shave Member
Veteran
Got a Slim Adjustable and it works great. I get fabulous shaves with it. But wonder about the Super Adjustables aka Black Beauty. How different are the shaves? Or are they different? Inquiring minds want to know

BB is lighter. For some reason, I get better shaves from the BB, I’ve never cared for the slim. Fatboy is tops of the adjustable though, by a lot!

I don’t have a plastic bottom BB mine are metal bottom 69 Super Adjustables. I have an 84 in nickel and a 109 in gold. I have a 63, 64, 64 Delta Echo Cubano Edition Slims and a 66 A’Crat. I love them all but I will agree with @Spider there is just something about the weight distribution on the 69 SA 84 that allows it to glide along the face. Have two Fatboys a collector grade cased 59 and my fave the 60 sent to me by a friend down in Texas. If you can find a metal bottom 84 or 109 grab it.

I don’t have a plastic bottom BB mine are metal bottom 69 Super Adjustables. I have an 84 in nickel and a 109 in gold. I have a 63, 64, 64 Delta Echo Cubano Edition Slims and a 66 A’Crat. I love them all but I will agree with @Spider there is just something about the weight distribution on the 69 SA 84 that allows it to glide along the face. Have two Fatboys a collector grade cased 59 and my fave the 60 sent to me by a friend down in Texas. If you can find a metal bottom 84 or 109 grab it.
Roger that and thanks

I thought I had read at some point that there are slight differences in the blade gap adjustments between them, but nothing significant.

I do enjoy my Slim more than my SA, it is my #1 DE.

....nope no calls in this text either

BB is lighter. For some reason, I get better shaves from the BB, I’ve never cared for the slim. Fatboy is tops of the adjustable though, by a lot!
Hmm. I've heard several people say they've gotten better shaves from BBs and Fatboys. I have a 1962 Slim Adjustable which gives me a decent shave. I've been debating on getting a birthyear Fatboy but most of them listed on EBay and Etsy are overpriced IMO.

i passed along my f-2 and g-1 fatboys,and a mint m-4 birthyear/quarter slim set.i still have a g-1 slim set to keep my hand in.just a nice shaver but prefer non adjustables.most of the supers i've seen in the wild had the dreaded handle rot..never bothered with them.

i passed along my f-2 and g-1 fatboys,and a mint m-4 birthyear/quarter slim set.i still have a g-1 slim set to keep my hand in.just a nice shaver but prefer non adjustables.most of the supers i've seen in the wild had the dreaded handle rot..never bothered with them.
Handle rot ?? Please elaborate if you would. Thank you.

I did not know that some of the B.B razors had plastic on the handles. The one I have is the long one and its all metal...

Handle rot ?? Please elaborate if you would.
The Super Adjustables and the Black Handled Superspeeds have aluminum handles. It can corrode severely in the right conditions. I had a Super Adjustable that would not work because the corrosion was so bad. I sent it off to repair, because it had a rare head configuration. The guy who fixed it had to take apart another SA to swap out the handle. He said he'd never seen one so bad inside.

The Super Adjustables and the Black Handled Superspeeds have aluminum handles. It can corrode severely in the right conditions. I had a Super Adjustable that would not work because the corrosion was so bad. I sent it off to repair, because it had a rare head configuration. The guy who fixed it had to take apart another SA to swap out the handle. He said he'd never seen one so bad inside.
Oh , okay I was unaware of that problem , thank you for the reply / info.. BTW , what makes one have a rare head configuration ? If that's okay....

Back