The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

deordorants

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
looking for some deordorants that will pain well with bay rum, i have stirlings bay rum, b&m bay rum, shannons soaps bay rum, as well as russian tea and spearheads seaforth spice. Also looking from soemthing that would pair well with SV's 70th and cubebe. Normally i just grab whatever old spice deordorant i have on hand would like to start pairing scents that go togther. looking for deordorants not anti-perspirants. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated. thanks!

I’ve switched to using alum block for deodorant - no scent - kills the bacteria that cause the odor - and metal free…..

But Here are two backup deodorants that I use in emergencies (that aren’t anti-perspirants):

Duke Cannon

Olivina

I’ve switched to using alum block for deodorant - no scent - kills the bacteria that cause the odor - and metal free…..

But Here are two backup deodorants that I use in emergencies (that aren’t anti-perspirants):

Duke Cannon

Olivina
cool, i will check into these. thanks man

Is the best way to apply the alum right out of the shower and does it keep you fresh throughout the day, i may give this a try.

Is the best way to apply the alum right out of the shower and does it keep you fresh throughout the day, i may give this a try.
I’ve used sticks similar to @MilkCrate - there are similar ones from Razorock (Italian Barber) and Shave Nation as well. I use actual alum block like Osma and Barbero. The only difference between what Tim uses and what i use is that the Crystal ones are made by compacting Alum powder under pressure and the ones I use are cut from an Alum block. They are the same compound and last the same amount of time - I find about 12-24 hours. The benefits to the Crystal is that it comes in a container similar to deodorant stick so it is easier to apply and the ones I use tend to last a little bit longer because they dissolve a little slower - I’ve used both and both are top notch.

What makes them so great are a few things - Deodorants are masking the odor - the ones I gave you links to also contain charcoal - so they also absorb the smell as well And these don’t have the metal content which is often is used in most mass produced deodorants/antiperspirants - but overall you are just masking the odor and they usually last 8-12 hours. They do this by adding fragrance in essence.

The alum on the other hand is actually killing the bacteria -it is an antiseptic so it removes the cause of the odor before they can emit the odor. it doesn’t have any scent or fragrance so your not competing with a cologne.It is an astringent as well. It is made up of only mineral salts - it is all natural.

I’ve used sticks similar to @MilkCrate - there are similar ones from Razorock (Italian Barber) and Shave Nation as well. I use actual alum block like Osma and Barbero. The only difference between what Tim uses and what i use is that the Crystal ones are made by compacting Alum powder under pressure and the ones I use are cut from an Alum block. They are the same compound and last the same amount of time - I find about 12-24 hours. The benefits to the Crystal is that it comes in a container similar to deodorant stick so it is easier to apply and the ones I use tend to last a little bit longer because they dissolve a little slower - I’ve used both and both are top notch.

What makes them so great are a few things - Deodorants are masking the odor - the ones I gave you links to also contain charcoal - so they also absorb the smell as well And these don’t have the metal content which is often is used in most mass produced deodorants/antiperspirants - but overall you are just masking the odor and they usually last 8-12 hours. They do this by adding fragrance in essence.

The alum on the other hand is actually killing the bacteria -it is an antiseptic so it removes the cause of the odor before they can emit the odor. it doesn’t have any scent or fragrance so your not competing with a cologne.It is an astringent as well. It is made up of only mineral salts - it is all natural.
i like products with charcoal, i will give them a try for sure, thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Another Crystal guy here. I really hate scented deodorant, even more so when I’ve got a cornucopia of scents going on between shaving soap, AS, and frag.
I have a version that in liquid, goes on like a roll on, and seems to work better than the solid types for me.

Another Crystal guy here. I really hate scented deodorant, even more so when I’ve got a cornucopia of scents going on between shaving soap, AS, and frag.
I have a version that in liquid, goes on like a roll on, and seems to work better than the solid types for me.
what is this liquid type you are refering too?

Back