The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

DeHaven Razor discussion

Dave in KY

Shave Newbie
Thought I would start this thread and post my attempts at resurrecting my DeHaven razor to use status. I have seen at other forums in old threads where some have pulled out using pliers (On the No. 3 razor) the blade and slid in an injector blade. Unfortunately for me my attempt to do this because of it being rusted in place even using WD40 ended in the blade breaking. I'll regroup at some point but may have hit a wall with this blade until I find acquire another victim DeHaven blade to try. It's a shame as I'd really like to give this cool old razor a try at least.
IMG_20190611_070558599.jpg

Love the look of it. So is that piece the blade, or just a blade holder. I'm pretty confused about the whole thing right now. Don't recall seeing these ever, before yours.

Love the look of it. So is that piece the blade, or just a blade holder. I'm pretty confused about the whole thing right now. Don't recall seeing these ever, before yours.
It is supposed to be a 1 piece blade that clips on. Side 1 and 2 are embossed on each side. You were supposed to shake it and the movement back and forth would sharpen it or at least that was the idea. Obviously these rusted as they laid around so people have sought ways of modifying as I will continue to. This is the #3 DeHaven and there are others that have a flip top like a Gem. If you can get the blade part free and pulled out of a #3 they say you can slide in an injector blade to the groove and be good to go. Unfortunately if the blade snaps as it did for me the piece in the groove will prevent the new one from getting in. I'll tinker with it some more but may be back to square 1. I'll do a video when I get a chance to show the movement etc. better.

Thanks. I did a little bit of searching, and found several different models..... yours is the best looking one of the bunch! Hope you get it to work for you.

that is a very interesting/cool razor. i wish you luck in your work to get it back in shaving shape!

Cool razor Dave. Can I suggest you reach out the the Famous Captain Murphy. He is incredibly cleaver with these type of things.

Thought I would start this thread and post my attempts at resurrecting my DeHaven razor to use status. I have seen at other forums in old threads where some have pulled out using pliers (On the No. 3 razor) the blade and slid in an injector blade. Unfortunately for me my attempt to do this because of it being rusted in place even using WD40 ended in the blade breaking. I'll regroup at some point but may have hit a wall with this blade until I find acquire another victim DeHaven blade to try. It's a shame as I'd really like to give this cool old razor a try at least.
View attachment 4547
First time seeing this. Cool, but would think before trying it:oops:

Thanks. I did a little bit of searching, and found several different models..... yours is the best looking one of the bunch! Hope you get it to work for you.
Thanks KJ. I'm actually surprised as I figured you had one. You seem to have all the cool old razors
that is a very interesting/cool razor. i wish you luck in your work to get it back in shaving shape!
Thanks Kyle but it may be beyond my abilities or at least available tools
Cool razor Dave. Can I suggest you reach out the the Famous Captain Murphy. He is incredibly cleaver with these type of things.
This is sound advice I wish I had thought of before I broke it. I'll email him and see if he's willing to give it a shot.
First time seeing this. Cool, but would think before trying it:oops:
I figure it can't hurt to at least give it a try

Mine looks like it is a bit different than yours.

I was able to trim off a GEM blade and use electrical tape on it to fit mine.

Not sure if that is something that may work in yours, but looking at the blade design you have I'm thinking not.

Mine looks like it is a bit different than yours.
View attachment 4568

View attachment 4569

I was able to trim off a GEM blade and use electrical tape on it to fit mine.

View attachment 4570

Not sure if that is something that may work in yours, but looking at the blade design you have I'm thinking not.
No, it's a different monster but that is a cool one. I've seen the adapters that have been made for that model though. Nice Shawn

Reached out and still not heard anything back. Got impatient and tried a few ideas I had..................Back to waiting to hear from the Captain and wondering about his name being Murphy...........
IMG_20190616_145728621.jpg

This is an old thread but I just got a DeHaven Model 3 with a broken off blade in the holder. I soaked it in WD-40 overnight then used a vice grip to pull the blade straight out from the blade holder. Don't wiggle blade up and down because that just breaks it off. I will try an injector blade or somewhere I saw mention of stacking two half blades in the holder.

Back